• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Why is NRA tracking me on TFL?

Ironbarr

Logged on a few minutes ago, went to Legal and clicked "Should we really walk around carrying GUNS??" and immediately received a request by nrahq.org to set a cookie. Looking at the .jpeg properties it's probably the NRA store URL doing this.

Good thing I changed my permissions and caught it, huh?

-Andy

He'd of done better...

copying it in and putting it up himself. I believe that would've cut out the cookie link-up. I just saw that image in a two-up someplace yesterday. Anyway, I sent him a PM re this thread. We'll see.

I'm trying to figure out George's :confused:

-Andy

I didn't notice NRA setting a cookie in my computer when that thread loads, but I already have my permissions set to "accept all" from NRA.org.

Brandon could have downloaded the pic to his computer and then attached it to that thread. That'd keep them narsty cookies from loadin'.

Perhaps George has his permissions set to "accept all cookies" and he never notices them loading... :confused:

Blues...

I haven't had a reply to my PM to him either... and he was online when I sent it. Maybe he doesn't monitor PMs. Anyway, there's "a lotta trackin' goin' on".

BTW: CNET has a freebie software I picked up a couple weeks ago called Ad-aware. It scours your hard disk for spyware - cookies, . exe, and others that track your surfing. It found, and I deleted, 62 files. I run it once a week to make sure I'm not plagued. Figure 62 times 4k (for the disk space each file - 8k for bigger drives) since we know most cookies, et al, are only a few bytes.

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10106-100-7302674.html

Later.

-Andy

Last edited:
WHOA!!

I had no idea that it would post a cookie on your machine from the NRA. I apologize, but I certainly will not stand to be accused of being behind anything. All I did was put that in my thread as a proud citizen, so chill out. And no, I don't monitor messages, I just happened to look for the first time today and I noticed I had one.

Is it just me not really caring, but do people get just a little too cranked about cookies?

If you don't want a cookie, just set your browser to "No Cookies."

Lets think about this , would you like a tap being placed on your phone and every time you call some one it records what you say how long you talk who you called . You can turn cookies off but then when you go to sites that you like you have to log on each time , there are good cookies and bad cookies . Some cookies report your computer use to its sender some of us just don't like that .

A tap's different.

The potential for it discovering something I don't want to be discovered through an errant conversation on my part is a lot more likely.

Computer cookies track only what I choose to do on a website.

If there's something I don't want tracked, I use my "clean" computer, which has cookies completely disabled and a program that quashes any attempt to place a cookie on the system before they can even get to my computer.

Back