• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Why is my thread locked??

Your thread isn't locked, never was locked.

I suspect you're trying to edit it. Posts remain editable for 4 days. If you need to change or add something, simply add a new post to the thread.

Mal,
Why is this a setting on this site. Why would you not let someone edit there own post beyond 4 days for whatever reason. Here is an example for you.

I posted pictures in the shotgun forum of several shotguns I own. I was notified that no one could see them. So I moved them to another hosting site which would solve the problem. Unfortuniately now I can't go in and change the address of the pictures. It seems to me that this rule will make the posts longer with all these double posts.

Could you please inlighten me please.

Jim

You don't need to create a second post even if you can't edit the OP. You can just reply and put your newly hosted pictures in the repply.

Tim,
I understand that part, but it still creates a longer post then needed. If we were allowed to edit the original post without a time limit. Then this isn't an issue, at least with me anyway. I am just curious why the 4 day limit.

Sorry, I probably didn't explain that very well the first time. Here is a link to the post I was referring to. I re-posted my pictures using the reply button.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2769420#post2769420

Jim

If there aren't limits on editing, someone could go back and edit his posts weeks or months later and totally change the meaning of a thread. For example, a thread that has a few hundred posts and the OP goes back a month later and removes his posts - the thread would probably no longer make sense.

At some point, what is posted become part of the permanent record of the forum. No matter what particular amount of elapsed time is chosen, there would be good reasons to make it longer or shorter.

Fisher,

I've made the picture changes to your original post and deleted the reply.

Thank you John,

Please don’t take my questions as any type of criticism towards the staff here. I was only curious because I have never seen that on any other website.

Jim

Don't worry, I don't think anyone has taken offense--I certainly haven't. ;)

I haven't done a real check of all the forums I'm registered on, but my offhand impression is that it's about 50/50 as to whether there's some cutoff point after which editing one's own posts is no longer possible. In addition, the cutoff point does vary considerably, however.

I can't tell the exact number at THR but it's somewhere between 1 and 4 days, the Beretta Forum cuts off in less than a day.

Back