Why I will oppose gun confiscation...

This is just something that has been "brewing" inside me for a long time ....

---------------------------------------------

When I was a child--not yet a teenager--my father was my hero. He was a man among men, who loved me and my brothers and our mother without reservation. He was not afraid to cry when hurt or touched. He showed his love for us all.

He was also a Petty Officer Quartermaster Gunner in the Royal Australian Navy. To those who know the traditions of the British or Australian navies, Gunnery Branch was the absolute toughest branch, steeped in hundreds of years of history. He taught markmanship to others. He often was away on weekends "at the range".

I remember the day he handed me his old .22 single shot and a bullet, allowing me to load it and carry it (bolt open, of course).

On that day, I felt no longer like a child.

As soon as I was of legal age, Dad took me to the police station to apply for a licence for my own rifle -- a Remington Nylon 66 rimfire. The Police Sergeant, a big, sneering man, wanted to know who "the hell" was going to teach me to use it properly. Dad drew himself up to his full 5'9" and said, "I will". "What would you know about guns?" the sergeant asked.

Dad told him, quietly and succinctly. When he had finished, he also told him that his son was trustworthy and an adult in his eyes.

I got my licence from a subdued sergeant, and from that instant had a sense of responsibility. Society -- my society -- had said I could have a firearm. I had to be an adult; to do anything else would be to turn my back on those who trusted and loved me.

As I became older, I bought other guns, and those firearms became a symbol to me of something deeper -- something hard to put into words. But I never used them irresponsibly, or illegally, or recklessly -- and not without feeling that responsibility every time I took them out.

Then, after 30 years of gun ownership, without any more than a single parking ticket against my name, the government -- my government -- suddenly said I was no longer to be trusted; that I wasn't a decent, trustworthy, honest person. I couldn't have my semi-auto .22 or my pump action shotgun any more -- they were to be taken from me and crushed, destroyed. Sure, I got a cheque for them -- $280 for $700s worth of firearms that I didn't want to sell.

From that day, I no longer felt as tall as I once had. I was no longer allowed to feel as tall. My father, now old and frail, had to hand his rifle over to me, because as a pensioner he couldn't afford the compulsory $300 safe to store it in. As he said, "They gave me one of those 50 years ago and taught me to kill people with it. Now they don't trust me even to own one".

They made my father impotent in my eyes; they took away the responsibility I and he had willingly shouldered; the responsibility that had helped me grow into an adult -- and yes, in my case, into a man.

Those are the memories I can never forget; those are the memories and feelings I can never forgive.

That's why I'll continue to fight; and why I'll never forget or forgive.

I knew gun ownership here in Australia was always a privilege, not a right. But a privilege should never be revoked without a cause. And I -- and millions of other gunowners -- did nothing to have that privilege revoked. It was savage, misguided, and as the figures have shown, inappropriate.

It wasn't just pieces of wood and metal and plastic that were destroyed -- they also destroyed faith and trust and responsibility, and an entire way of life. And they destroyed my dad and all he stood for.

But they can't destroy my memories.

So that's why I'll keep on fighting any way I can.

--------------------------------------------

As I wrote this, I kept thinking of Dennis and some of his pieces. I wished I had his eloquence with words.

But I hope the message gets through. I don't wish to see any of you having to write similar pieces after you've lost your guns.

I hope you'll see now why I sometimes get a little twitter and bisted about "reasonable" gun laws and "reasonable" restrictions -- they have only one ultimate outcome.

B

Bruce - The first mistake your father made was when he took you to the police station to get a f#$@^&* PERMIT to own or possess a rifle. I know it was the law then, but it should have been fought, and a lot of civil disobedience would have been the order of the day. Maybe, just maybe, the law would have been changed and the sorry plight you people find yourselves in would not exist.
One can only hope.

Shotgun

keep in mind that Bruce is from the land down under, where they don't have a 2nd amendment (not that it means much here), but its not guatenteed there like it should be here

Bruce, at this point after the ban on private firearm ownership, what is the feeling of "Could'a, Would'a, Should'a" from you and other previous gun owners?

See you at the rallies in August!

------------------
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

Bruce:

Sorry to hear of the absolute BS you have to put up with. Keep in mind that before you become an outlaw you've probably got close to 2000 sponsors here at TFL for your immagration needs.

Hey don't forget me I want to move too :)
As far as I'm concerned I no longer feel sorry for Australian shooters , except for the %5 who bothered to try and stop the laws.
I am really sickk of shooters now they deserve what they get, if you can't stand up for your rights - you don't deserve to have them.

------------------
New FREE Gun Auctions at http://www.gun-center.com/auctions.html

rabbit assassin:

My mistake, I would welcome all 5% of the Aussie's who have fought and are fighting confiscation.

Living just outside of Chicago, one would now think that the gun culture all but packed up and moved to the sticks. But it hasn't, it hasn't at all.

As a young boy, I watched my dad with amazement as he packed for a duck hunting trip, then ran to the door upon his return, to examine the mallards he'd taken. When my older brother turned eleven, my dad gave him a single barrel 12 guage shotgun, and then gave it to me when I turned 11. Dad then gave my brother a nice side by side in a beautiful crushed velvet case. I was quite jealous.

Our bird hunting trips were cherished outings, mostly on outlying farms, away from the City. But it was during those trips, that my brother and I learned about our guns, about the game we hunted, and experienced the excitement of shooting and the pain from the kick of the gun. We learned about respect, respect for the land and the game, respect for our weapons, and most importantly, respect for each other.

Dad was a strict disciplinarian and did not tolerate anything except the utmost in saftey while afield, demanding our attention at all times. These trips lead to long talks about my dad's experience in the Army, and about the action he saw first hand. It opened our eyes to the countless sacrifices that our fellow Americans made for our great Nation and our beloved freedom.

I began to look at my dad differently after those talks, after those hunts. He let my brother and I touch his scars, where the enemy shrapnel ripped into his flesh. He explained the horror of war, his personal accounts of what he saw, and the tragic mortar round that left him severely wounded and partially disabled. He told of the horrific ride on the stretcher atop a jeep, bounching through the Korean battle ground, and of the one year hospital stay recovering from those wounds.

My dad was often a son of a so and so, but I always respected him. I knew he was a great man and still is to this day. My mom so proudly displayed his medals and his purple heart in a case next to the dining room table. And I know what he endured to earn each one of them.

My freedom and yours was fought for with the blood of our kin, and it is that blood that flows through my veins at this very moment. Our enemies may be hiding behind legitimate facades, and some may not be hiding at all. But until this blood flows no more, it will be our freedom that I will so proudly fight for. And I will never, ever submit to tyranny by disposing any one of our precious God given rights.

This is what it means to me to be a free American. Love of God, family, and country...a love handed down in succession from those who spilled blood for our freedom, so that all of us could be free. It is up to us now.

Bruce, very well put. You do not need to envy the eloquence of Dennis.

I wish to make a gentle correction, however. You, and rabbit assassin, and everbody else on the planet does indeed have the right to bear arms, no matter what your lying government tells you. Every person has the natural right to live as they wish, as long as they do not initiate force against others. Lysander Spooner called it, "living honestly". In the bible it's, "do unto others". As my dad put it, "keep your hands to yourself".

Never let anyone tell you that you don't have the right to life, and the right to defend that life, simply because of some bureaucratically-drafted border, and because of the accident of birth that placed you within the confines of a particular goverment's "authority". What your government has done to you is no different than what our government is doing to us: infringing on the most basic of human rights, the right to live.

The only difference between our government and yours is that here a few radicals wrote something over two hundred years ago, something so obviously true,, that they told everyone how obvious this truth was. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness--[/quote] These students of history and philosophy didn't say, "all American Men" they said, "all Men".

Never, never let anyone tell you that you don't have the right to your life, and the right to defend that life.

------------------

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed -- and thus clamorous to be led to safety -- by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." -- H.L. Mencken

Bruce,
Let's save some time here. Begin again at the very top of Ipecac's post, read it entirely, and (mentally) sign my name right after his.

Your post was stunning. Brought me to a complete halt and required "recovery" time (which is not yet completed).

Aftereffects of your article include very deep anger and increased resolve to fight the usurpers daily.

Bruce,great post,keep up the fight. I have my great grandfathers Parker shotgun, my grandfathers .22 rifle and my dads Winchester shotgun. I go when they go. I would like to make a comment about one of your points though. You accurately state that the (crime)figures disprove the theory of the anti's. That is true but even if the crime figures did decrease, what would that prove? They typically do go down in a fascist society.

[This message has been edited by ATTICUS (edited July 21, 1999).]

As a side note, I saw in a news report here that the Austrailian media is going ballistic about the equatorial crossing "inductions" of RAN sailors being cruel and degrading. I just don't get it. These people don't seem to understand any traditions or points of honor (not that our media rats are any different, witness the Tailhook business).

Bruce, it's most all been said, and I agree with all. Except one thing; you needen't worry about me having to write such a thing, or ANYTHING, after I've lost my guns. I won't be here.

Thank you for your honesty.

Oz you won't have to worry about me writing to tell you they got my guns. Because I mean this with all conviction; when you hear that they got GuttSmoke's guns you will know that GuttSmoke is dead. "I've decided to live outside the law it is better defined"

------------------
"Solidarity is the Key"

Back