Why I love the .38 (not cost or recoil)

tubeshooter

Well, it's just a good ol' American round that has been getting it done for a long, long time. Sure, its heyday has passed, but I think the way it rounds out the power range of .357-chambered guns is tremendous.

.38 may not be a rip-snorting firebreather, but it has protected (and continues to protect) many a wife, sister, mother or daughter. Ready, controllable and RELIABLE above all else. Didn't do too shabby of a job for law enforcement either, for years and years. I am thankful for this....

9mm is cheaper now, but the price of .38 is still attractive. The .38 will never die (especially with the nice variety of +P loads now available), and I for one am glad.

[Apologies to BlueDuck357.... :D :p :D ]

-tubeshooter

And in a a decent gun can still win many a match.

My cost for .38specials runs around $2.50/50. Bulk powder n stuff.

Sam

I don't think the .38's day has passed. I keep my SW Model 10 (protection gun) loaded with 110-grain high velocity .38 special Hydra Shoks. I think a lot of these cowboys who have magnum and plus P's in their protection guns are going to be killing a lot of ceiling fans if they ever have to shoot quick follow-up shots under pressure.... A .38 spcl Hydra Shok is plenty deadly. And, he can only die once.

And, like Sam said, it's accurate ! There are some calibers (.32 acp, .41 mag., .38 spl., .22 lr) that just seem to be inherently more accurate than the rest.

There's something nice about churning out a bunch of .38 spl target reloads and then taking them out to the range to chew out the center of a target. They are just relaxing, somehow.

And it certainly can get the job done for personal defense. I'd be very happy to get my wife willing to use a 4" bbl .38 spl revolver around the house. An old spike-nose model 10 loaded with soft-shooting Nyclads . . . not the best vermin-stopper, but beats the .22 j-frame she's comfortable with now.

I agree the 38 is SPECIAL. My first centerfire was a 38, actually a 357, but I shoot mostly 38s in it. The first round that I reloaded was a 38 and I still think that it is one of the easiest cases to load for. I can do a wadcutter or a full magnum in the same case. It dont get much better than that.

38 can do a lot. The old trustworthy, real shooter guys like Jim Wilson and John Taffin shoot it a lot as well as their big bores. They load the 38 case hot to magnum pressures with heavy bullets in their 357s. I used to do the light weight bullet, +P gig until research at Firearms Tactical Institute. Their testing pitting 110 +P vs wadcutters or 158SWCs in Snubbies turned me to heavy bullets with cutting edges. Reloading and shooting these is sure a pleasure compared to the 110s or 125s.

Plus P 158SWC-HPs at 900 fps or so have stopped as many fights as the 45ACP. The only reason most PD departments have switched is for more rounds in magazine than bullet performance. You do your job and just about any bullet will do its job. 38, 9mm, 357, 40, 44 whatever. One can shoot a lot of 38s and get real good. Beats someone who shoots a box of 44mag every year and can't hit a car much less the 2 legged threat.

May the 38 live long and prosper.

Don't forget easy to reload, and pleasant to shoot.

Also the first step up from .22 Long Rifle that is worth the extra expense and noise.

Good on medium size predators too.

"Killing a lot of ceiling fans"-LMAOF Bountyh!

342PD in Ti. Excellent "carry always" gun, even in Summer weight shorts and a T-shirt. If you believe that the abiliity to fire multiple rounds down range quickly is more important than the power of any single (missing) round, then you definitely wouldn't go for the 340PD for example. Even the best shooters can shoot more rounds from a .38 than a .357 in the same amount of time. Consistent accuracy usually involves lots practice and most of the guys I know with the .357s practice with .38s under the mistaken impression that in an emergency they will be able to handle the recoil and hit their target! Little practice and an adrenaline overload might likely prove them wrong. I'm not convinced that you pick up that much with the .357 in a 2 inch snubbie anyway. A lot of guys are into POWER though-look at all the giant SUVs around town that rarely have more than a few bags of groceries in them and NEVER leave the road! I'll keep my .38 with some proper ammo!.

One of the Best Home Defense Setups Available - - -

- - is a police/security service trade-in .38 Special revolver. It can be loaded with two target wadcutters up front and then with your choice of warmer loads. I prefer the Remington 158 LSWCHP +P, but that's personal.

A Colt Official Police, an S&W M&P, a Ruger Service Six - - All of these are accurate, strong, dependable arms, heavy enough to be easily controlled with whatever .38 Special load. The majority of the trade-in guns have been carried much but shot little. Even if the finish is worn, they are almost always in first class mechanical condition.

One SHOULD practice with the HD firearm occasionally, yes, but any of these can be left loaded indefinitely--all springs relaxed--no wear or fatigue - - - for years on end, and be ready to repel intruders at a moment's notice.

Best,
Johnny

Back