Why I bought a pellet gun.

Brutus

Because I live in the land of stinkin and firing off a .22 would land me in jail.
Of course my need to dispose of the family of skunks roaming the neighborhood is no excuse and local animal control refuses to take action.
So while at Cabelas with my gift card in hand over the holidays I popped for a Gamo bone crusher (name implies it will get the job done). This is a nitrogen filled model with an advertised velocity of 1300 fps with a .177 alloy pellet. Have to admit I've had a lot of fun plinking with it in the backyard it's quite accurate out to about 50 yards or so. Question is will it be adequate to take down a skunk and at what practical range? Needless to say 50 yards is about as close as I want to get.:rolleyes:

Shooting Pepe and his family will very likely get you arrested too. It's likely your neighbour's cats and dog who are annoying Pepe. Or somebody is feeding him.
How heavy is the pellet? Velocity means squat without weight. The weights I'm seeing online(11.1 grains max) are less than half of what a .22 CB Short bullet weighs.

Question is will it be adequate to take down a skunk and at what practical range?
It will work once you find the right pellets

I'd keep the range as short as possible to insure penetration with 20 yds the absolute max

For killing anything without feathers, heavier is better

I'd suggest ordering a sample pack, then use the most accurate domed or pointed pellet you can find

http://www.pyramydair.com/

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/JSB_M...l_Round_Nose_Pointed_4_Pellet_Types_400ct/958

Another thing to keep in mind is if you live in town where discharging firearms is illegal, most likely pellet guns are also illegal

Keep velocities under 800 fps if possible and it won't be as loud

Last edited:
Problem is this lady at the end of the block loves feeding the squirrels which means she leaves a buffet out for the skunks. Trying to convince her otherwise has proven futile. In the mean time my Springer Spaniels have gotten nailed four times this year. Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda baths in tempertures 50 degress or less has gotten old quick. Pepe and friends need to go.

Be careful with your pellet gun as some people just like to complain and call the cops. Besides that good luck with your pest removal.

Do you plan on shooting the skunks in the head or body? Might be a way to make a demo animal so you can figure out max range but closer is probably better.

A live trap might also be a good idea. Once the skunk is in the trap dispatch it, rinse and repeat.

Brutus

Your neighbors are probably sick and tired of the lady too and her lazy feeding of squirrels. All she would have to do is use an elevated feeder and the skunks would be out of luck.

I have one of those ladies across the street from me. I wrote up a petition my mother took it around, the neighbors signed it and animal control was forced to do something and her place was deemed a health hazzard. Cats were trapped and tested and numerous diseases were found so now the dogcatcher regularily traps on her property and the animals are put down.

More then 300 cats have been removed so far.

Do you plan on shooting the skunks in the head or body?
Head shots on a Skunk in the dark is a low percentage shot unless you're pretty close

I'd go for a lung shot, and hope it runs off before it dies (and sprays)

Another thing to keep in mind is if you live in town where discharging firearms is illegal, most likely pellet guns are also illegal
I have read this many times, but have not found it to actually be true.

I personally was uncomfortable using a GAMO pellet rifle on squirrels. Even to dispatch pest squirrels. I tried it twice and was VERY disappointing with the results in both instances at very very close range. Disabling effect, but nowhere close to clean kills. I found the accuracy appalling. Not close to any of the 22s I have owned or shot. The super-light target pellets they use to get the max FPS number are target pellets not designed for hunting. I traded my GAMO for an older Craftsman miter saw a few weeks back and was REALLY happy with the trade. It wasn't even a sliding miter saw. Just single bevel. I haven't even tested the saw under power yet. I was going to trash the GAMO once or twice, but afraid a neighborhood kid would pull it out of my trash can.
Most people seem to love them though. Maybe I just got a lemon.

Maybe I just got a lemon.
It's more likely you just never tried the right pellet

I have a Stoeger X10 that will barely keep all the shots on an 8.5 X 11 piece of paper with Crossman pointed pellets, but will shoot flat point Daisy pellets into a nice round 1" group.

It really pays to experiment a lot before deciding the problem lies with the gun itself

In some other guns I've had better results with pointed or domed, and they seem to perform better on the larger animals as far as penetration

A 22 cal is better, but the heavier 177's can work too

I've taken out quite a few squirrels and possums at distances up to 25 yds or so, although I prefer to be much closer with the possums

johnwilliamson.....Each town has differnt regs on air rifle use so one has to look at the specific city codes. Many places the codes aint online even though by federal law they are supposed to be. The federal law is under the electronic information act.

Thanks for all the input, fortunately the little buggers have gone into hibernation but I'm sure they will be back with new youngins in the spring. The more I think about it the less appeal the pellet gun has. Would really hate to wound one and have it get away. Think in the spring I'll try filing a complaint with the police. In the mean time I got a nice plinker to use in the back yard. If I could use my 10/22 I'd get all four at once and call it a day.
Never had this problem back on the farm, that's what I get for becoming a suburbanite.:(

I bought a Bone Collector Gamo last year...and I will never shoot the light alloy pellets it came with, they are useless.
Instead, I use heavier 10+ grain pellets, which hit hard, buck wind, and shoot more quietly, since they aren't breaking the sound barrier.
However, not long after I got it, I bought a 1970's Sheridan Blue Streak .20 caliber pump up gun, and it is my favorite air rifle now.

I looked at the higher end air rifles but the Gamo at $179 + tax (another aggrevation) was in my budget. Could buy a real gun for the price of the top of the line models. Might change my mind now that I know how much fun they are but I've got too many other items on my bucket list of must haves.

You could always use the cover story that the sound is coming from your air-powered framing nailer. Just be sure to keep it out, with a few pieces of 2x4 nailed together, so it looks like you are working on a project :D

johnwilliamson.....Each town has different regs on air rifle use so one has to look at the specific city codes. Many places the codes aint online even though by federal law they are supposed to be. The federal law is under the electronic information act.
Today 02:34 AM
Snyper
Quote:
Yes, and I have yet to find a town where it is illegal in my area. I have looked at a number of towns not in my area also. Maybe in California. Maybe in urban centers. I am not saying it unnecessary to check. I am saying I haven't found it to actually be illegal. I don't think it "most likely" is illegal, so I don't think people should be saying that. It MIGHT be illegal and people should check. Also, it is likely a misdemeanor and a fine if anything.

"Hunting" is illegal in most municipalities. Shooting game animals out of season is SOMETIMES illegal even if they are a "nuisance."

I tried a number of pellets. My red ryder was much more accurate than the GAMO. I just bought a single stroke pneumatic target gun I expect to be more accurate. I'm not saying pellet guns in general can't be accurate or powerful enough to hunt with, just that the .177 I bought was not.

Last edited:
You could be in violation of many hunting laws...

I've seen people get into hot water for shooting skunks with a pellet gun.

Hunting in city limits...hunting without license.... Ect...
Many states consider the killing if any vertebrate animal hunting

If you have a small game license that should cover the legalities if illinois is similar to Wisconsin.

If not a live trap that is skunk/raccoon size is the best option. Besides if you get one in the trap and the other one is roaming shoot it with the pellet gun and then come back for the one in the trap.

They do this for opossum, skunk, raccoon and other animals that can be trapped and pelts sold.

Animal dispatch around 7:15
http://youtu.be/LExU5eMbSbw

I've got an old Sheridan .20 cal. for pesky critters. Had one as a boy and never saw another air rifle that carried as hard of a punch. Bought another old one off of ebay a couple of years ago and am still going through my second childhood with it. I take squirrels off the power lines in the backyard with it.
Do yourself a favor and back away when the skunk starts stamping his feet.

Back