Why have LEO's stopped wearing hats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug.38PR

Why have LEO's stopped wearing policeman's hats. Maybe once in a blue moon I will see a policeman (at least here in Houston and the rest of the Southern region) wearing a hat like at a special function or something.
What ever happen to those policeman hats?
The only other time I ever see one wearing a lot is when it is a baseball cap..... :barf: and it doesn't look very professional to me (Houston Police don't wear them but I've seen other departments around the state and region). Baseball caps make the policeman look more like a truck driver or exterminator or meter reader.

Of course the DPS (state troopers of Texas) wear cowboy hats and other states wear those smokey the bear hats which look kinda nice.

They are outside alot where it is hot. Hats keep body heat in. The easiest way to cool of is to not where a hat.

exterminator
Well......they "exterminate" crime, right? :p That, and I would assume logistics would be a nightmare. Replacing lost hats, custom fitting each one (no baseball-hat style adjustment straps on those things, remember), enforcing the whole "wear your hat!!!" thing.....it's more efficient without them (at least IMO).

The Smokey Hat is the coolest part of the uniform. If we're outside we're covered. It sets the image.
BTW, anyone recognize the guy in the black suit?

Attachments

• HAT.JPG
    HAT.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 337
Hats are fine for "dress" occassions, but I dont like the restriction in vision. Watch a trooper or cop writing in a car and you'll see that the brim cuts down a lot of frontal vision. Wearing the hats also stops us from looking up as much as we should.

I personally dislike the ball caps and think they cheapen the image.

We "wear" (now & then, mostly then :D ) the 8-point "taxi driver" hat. You loose 'em in fights, you loose 'em in foot pursuits, you loose 'em in high winds, and when the brass used to suspend us for not wearing 'em, you worried more about your *#Q@ hat than you did your six. Guys got hurt, and except for parades, funerals, etc., the hats went bye bye.

Idaho SP & Washington SP wear hats, I see ISP when I head down to Lewiston, & WSP on my way to work.

The RCMP wear hats and Turbans (Sikhs) back home in BC Canada.

turban.jpg

MD

Last edited:
Because they are a pain when you are constantly getting in and out of your vehicle. The only time I wear mine is during bad weather (rain, snow, etc).

Hats would be a major hassle. Getting in and out of the car, FAST, would not go so well. They are expensive too. I don't know of any agency in my state (Calif) that wears them on duty routinely anymore, except for some baseball caps.

Many times I saw troopers step out of their cruiser, put on their hat [must present a good appearence !!! ] then approach a car .The potential problems of the stopped car are more important than the appearence !.

I understand the guys who don't bother with a hat. Getting in and out of the car is a real pain with a hat (any sort).On the other hand, if it's a disturbance or a domestic, it's better to wear the hat. Just gives a bit more authority - I thnk so anyway.

I don't know if it's standard issue or not, but I hardly see a Texas DPS officer without a cowboy hat on. I seriously think it is standard issue.

The department I work for allows us to wear ball caps, eight points, or watch caps (Winter only). Most of us choose the ball caps for every day used. They are light and comfortable, and you can stick them in your pocket if you need to. We all have eight-points as well, but they are used mostly for parades, funerals, and other special occasions.

I don't believe LEOs have stopped wearing hats. If a supervisor is around,they'll all have them on! Sendec nailed the reason. Look down, as if reading something or writing something, while wearing a campaign hat (smokey the bear hat). Your vision is restricted to a very short distance to the front. If you tip it's brim back so you can see, the thing is perched so pecariously on the back of your head that you'll have it blown from your head by the first passing 18 wheeler and crushed by the second one.
Steve

When the Cop that pulled you over puts on his smokey the bear hat and then checks his reflection on his window before he approaches you = Your gonna have a bad day. :(

I see them on WSP troopers, but confess I haven't noticed whether they all wear them, nor even if anyone wears them when it's not raining. Since it's nearly always raining up here, that last is kind of a moot point anyway.

pax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back