Why does my Glock 23 bash the heck out of my trigger finger but my 27 doesn't?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jeff, CA
  • Start date Start date
J

Jeff, CA

My 23 batters my trigger finger in 2 places: on the pad, and on the side, where it's being hit by the bottom part of the trigger guard. Both spots get red and tender after only 50 rounds or so. However, I put 200 rounds thru the 27 (same loads, S&B 180) today, and there's no trace of this happening. Logically, you'd expect the opposite (wouldn't you?) I replaced the grooved "target" triggers on both guns with the smooth, model 22 style. Otherwise, they're out-of-the-box.

Wow, never heard of that happening with a G23. Maybe you should have the gun checked out to see if something is wrong with the trigger. Maybe the smooth trigger wasn't installed correctly?

The only time I've experienced some soreness was when I was shooting .44 Mags or .357 Mag out of a 2" barrel.

If something is wrong with it have it checked out before you go shooting again.

I haven't heard of this happening with anyone either.

You didn't mention if you shot your G27 with the standard magazine or with a mag extension put in place. If so, your grip is different going from a two finger hold with pinkie pulled under to a full three finger grip in the Mod 23.

Another remedy is to reinstall your stock trigger and make a trip to the range to see if the new trigger is the cause of your woes.

If it is and you are intent on sticking with the smooth trigger, then perhaps you should try an AGrip or one of the Hogue grip sleeves. This should change your grip slightly- perhaps enough to allow you to shoot your weapon problem free.

Good Shooting
RED

I've noticed the same thing. I think it has to do with the double recoil spring in the 27 that cuts down on the sharpness of the recoil.

I've been shooting a G-23 for about 7 or 8 years and I have long noticed a similar phenomenon. I am not sure exactly where the finger is impacting, but my trigger finger tip will start to feel numb from the battering after awhile. Nothing serious to be concerned about IMO, but it happens to me.

OTOH, it does not happen when shooting the G-27. Maybe ajw is correct about the effect of the double recoil spring.

My first carry gun was a Glock 23 and when I would go and shoot I would have the same problem. Not long after I began shooting it my trigger finger would get red and a little tender. It never went numb on me but it did get uncomfortable but nothing that wasn't tolerable. I just chalked it up to the weird trigger.

I once rented a 23C and definitely had redness on the finger pad when I was through. Except for that, I might own a Glock by now, because I liked it otherwise.

Well, at least now I know I'm not hallucinating.

Maybe a heavier recoil spring in the 23??

Jeff:

Same thing here - I owned a 27 for 3 years before buying my 1st 23. Never noticed the trigger finger discomfort until I bought the 23. Now I always keep a box of bandaids in my range bag, and apply one to my finger before I shoot.

This is only a problem on my 23. I have two 19's (9mm) and a 21 (.45), and they have no such tendency. I think it must be the 2-stage spring on the G27 that the other guy referred to. I just ordered a couple of after-market recoil rods & springs to try on my G23, plus a new factory rod/spring in caes my old spring has weakened. We'll see.

Back