Why Do You Carry a Revolver?

Tim Croley

I have had a cc permit for many years and I have mostly carried revolvers.

I'm thinking about going to a Kel-Tec P-11, but I really haven't decided yet.

Why do you carry a revolver instead of an auto?

What is your best argument against an auto?

I have a 3" Taurus 85, but I feel that I can carry a 2" better.

Do any of you carry a 3" gun? If so, how do you carry it?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Just a note on the 2 inch, 3 inch question. You don't say what carry method you're using. For pocket carry (or similar methods) the shorter barrel has an advantage. For IWB holsters you will find the 3 inch actually should carry better. Very snub nosed revolvers tend to "roll out" of the top of your belt because of the cylinder thickness and lack of length to stabilize them. As for the advantages/disadvantges of revolvers and semi-autos, the semi is NORMALLY (not always) slimmer. It may or may not be lighter. SOME carry more ammo.

For the record, my winter carry gun is a S&W 627PC (eight shot .357, five inch N frame). My summer carry is a Kimber Ultra CDP (.45 ACP). I have found that I can actually carry the big N frame with the right pull over shirts in the summer, but the Kimber is more comfortable when it gets warm outside. The Kimber is definitely lighter, bigger caliber, same ammo capacity. But I suspect the long barreled .357 packs more punch than the stubby barreled .45.

I have and do carry both. I've carryed my Dads 2.5" 19 S&W
in a paddle holster and a few N frame S&W's in shoulder holsters mostly. I went to a glock when I tried a fanny pack
I found that I could carry a G22 and a spare mag in the space that I usually could barely fit my S&W 19. I usualy carry the wheel guns cause I shoot them better and in almost any civilan setting 6 shots is enough and a few to spare.

I carry a revolver...

Because my SMITH and WESSON revolvers (SW642, SW642LS, SW63, SW342PD) have been more reliable than my Glock pistols (G17, G26). Because my SW342PD is easier to carry than my G26 as were my SW642 and SW642LS.

A Taurus three-inch model 85 is my favorite carry gun. I prefer it to similar size autos because there are less things to go wrong with a revolver. Pull trigger, BANG! On a semi- you have to worry about safety, magazine, functioning malfs, etc.

I prefer the three inch to a two inch because of the balance, the longer sight radius, better ballistics, and that extra inch helps the gun stay in the waistband better that a two inch. I have no problem with carrying it either in a IWB holster, pocket carry or just 'Mexican carry'.

I don't ever plan to use it for defensive purposes, so I'm really not concerned about speed of reloads. If I need more than five shots, I deserve to get whacked for allowing myself to get into that bad of a situation in the first place. If I carry extra ammo, I carry a Bianchi Speed Strip. They carry flat and aren't recognizable as 'carry'.

I buy my pants just a little on the loose size, and usually pleated front, so they have room for my mode of carry. A middle-aged guy like myself kinda looks out of place with painted-on jeans anymore!

I carry a S&W Model 19 with a 4" barrel most of the time lately. As mentioned, a longer tube actually carries better when using IWB holsters, since the longer barrel anchors the gun better and helps to push the grip closer into your side. Short-barreled wheelguns carry less stable IWB, but tend to be a lot easier to conceal when carrying in a pancake or paddle holster.

Revolvers offer a few less rounds than autos, but you can pretty much bet on them going "bang" when you point them and pul the trigger. No safeties to forget, no varying trigger modes, no chance of a stovepipe or FTF...some days are just wheelgun days. I still carry autos as well, but I have relearned appreciation for finely balanced wheelguns.

My #1 reason for carrying revolvers

I have never taken a revolver to the range and discovered the cylinder had taken a set.

I once took my Colt Officer's ACP to the range along with five spare magazines. Of the six, all but one had taken a set and would not chamber a round of ammo. This included the magazine I had in the gun when I had to bow up and growl at a gang of punks. I nearly fainted when I discovered that.

#2 reason to Pack Revolvers

I have never taken a revolver out of my pocket and had the bottom fall off the cylinder.

I once took my old Iver Johnson TP-22 out of my pocket and found the baseplate and finger-extension had broken of and released spring tension on the magazine.

Any wonder my hard earned confidence in semi-automatics went right out the window when both of these incidents occurred within a matter of months of each other?

If I can't take care of business with five shots, I will draw my Always Gun to cover my retreat.

Doc Hudson

Formerly I have a licensed S&W special .38 snub nosed for carry but as what sw627pc said that "Very snub nosed revolvers tend to "roll out" of the top of your belt because of the cylinder thickness and lack of length to stabilize them". It is true, not only revolvers that tends to roll out from an IWB holster but also a short semi auto. In the case of my 4" barrel 9mm, sometimes if I sit and get up frequently, there is the tendency that it rolls out. So, I prefer at least a 6" revolver for carry or a semi auto 5" ACP for carry in IWB holster.

I frequently carry a four-inch Ruger GP-100 (KGP-141 model) with an IWB holster and a GOOD (Kevlar inner panel) belt. I can conceal this revolver as successfully as any of my full-sized autoloaders (H&K USP, Sig P-220 and P-226, and four 1911A1s).

The revolver: (1) is ultra reliable and durable, (2) is at least as accurate -- perhaps more accurate -- than any of my other handguns, including some terrific 1911A1s; and (3) fires .357 magnum loads, which are truly the best in stopping-power (with the additional benefit of employing the wide variety of inexpensive and available .38 Special rounds).

Therefore, I carry a revolver because it is concealable, exceptionally durable and reliable, very accurate, and it accommodates the broadest range of ammunition.

I really got to thinking this one out a while ago. I had a keltec P32 and loved it. However, I reasoned that my 342PD is nearly as light, utterly reliable, more powerful, can shoot through my coat pocket in the winter months, larger variety of ammo to choose from, many more available accessories, and I still think there are times for the Keltec.

I carry a Glock 23 on duty. Off duty I carry a Ruger SP101 .357 MAG. Revolvers are simple, reliable, and idiot proof under pressure. I love my SP.

One isn't any better than the other. It's all what you like. When I can conceal easily, it's the P7 hands down. Slim, 9 rounds, safe, utterly reliable and most importantly, if it ever got into the wrong hands I probably have a few seconds before the guy figures out how to fire it. Many macho gun guys would say "they'll never get mine" but being a cop I'm much more realistic and hope they don't. In LA prisons, cons spend all day practicing gun grabs on each other and even know how to work a safariland triple retention in under a second. If it's summer time, a j-frame on my ankle is worth all the 1911's, glocks, etc. sitting in the trunk or glove box.

For me its a matter of experience. I'd like to buy an auto, but I have almost always used revolvers.

Pulling a wheelgun (for me) is like holding an old love: familiar, comforting and you know how to make it best perform.

I'd hate to pull an auto and have something go wrong. My training and muscle memory will be expecting a revolver, and I don't want to hesitate.

I carry a S&W 342ti "always" because for size,power,weight no auto compares, it fits my hand,is plenty accurate and I can drop it in my pocket and forget about it. That being said I would love to have a 10-14oz quality polimer/alloy 380 or 9mm no larger than my 342 with 6 or 7 shots made by glock,keltec,Kahr or maybe S&W/walther?. Naa has there 380 guardian all stainless at 21oz loaded is a little to heavy for my pockets,(although I would prolly buy one,but living in massachusettes it is considdered in the junk,unsafe,gansta class so I can't buy one.)

I have always carried revolvers primarily because that is what I'm most comfortable using. I advise that you carry what you feel more comfortable with. After all, you could end up using this gun to defend your life or the life of a loved one. Make sure you trust the weapon and your ability to use it effectively.

I started carrying revolvers and warmed my way into autos. They just feel more natural for car carry and they conceal better. However, since I have recently moved to a CCW state, I plan on getting more short barreled wheelguns. Currently, the only wheelgun I still have is my S&W 586 357 magnum with 8 3/8" barrel. It's kinda hard to conceal now, but come winter, I plan on getting a nice shoulder rig for it. Talk about a NO emphasised.

Back