Why do police officers want to be police officers?

GLV

I hear constant complaints about low pay, long, stressful hours, injury or loss of life, poor longevity, high suicide rates, etc, etc. Why would anyone want the job?

Why do we have 10s of thousand of 'reserve' officers, that work for no pay at all and must supply own uniforms and duty gear?

What is the attraction of this job? I would really like to know. GLV

It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. Seriously, I originally got into law enforcement for several reasons. A sense of community service, wanted to explore law enforcement and criminal justice as a long term career, great sense of personal satisfaction derived from helping people, even greater sense of personal satisfaction and accomplishment from arresting people who desperately needed it, and an even greater sense of satisfaction from sending really bad people to jail for a long, long time. And then there is the sense of belonging and camaraderie that all LEOs share. The incredible rush of adrenaline when your brain, nerves and body all kick into overdrive, and the job can be a whole lot of fun, when you are not overcome with boredom.

I got out of law enforcement for all of the reasons you mentioned. I have a good idea of why people get into law enforcement, but I sure don’t understand why they stay. Then again, maybe I got in for the wrong reasons to start with.

I split the diffeence I guess, I am on a paid Reserve status... We get our uniforms and some gear and we get a monthly stipend...

I am involved in law enforcement because I feel like every able bodied male has an obligation to make his society a better/safer place. That is one of the ways I fulfill my perceived obligation. Like Ankeny, I enjoy the Feeling I get when I "do something good"...
I enjoy catching legitimate badguys.
I spend a lot of time working with a homicide unit and I truly enjoy helping to solve murders and investigate crime scenes. I find it a fascinating way to learn about people.

Upon relfection, I realized that in all honesty, I cannot omit the fact that there are certain priveleges that go along with the badge that I appreciate having. While they are not a reason for getting involved in LE in and of themselves, they certainly help to counteract the negatives. While there is an implied "professional courtesy" among LEOs, which might get me out of a jam if/whem carrying in a state where my CCW is not honored, but I have never had to test this theory.. I have gotten out of a few speeding tickets though. (trust me, I've paid my fair share as well ;))

My father was an LEO (career) and most of my closest friends have always been involved in some facet of LE.

I have never complained about the pay issue, and don't know many people who do.. not career officers anyway... in fact, with many deparment's Overtime policies, an LEO CAN make a good living in most progressive depts. With Civil Service security and a good retirement plan to boot.. I think the pay issues are largely a thing of the past. Of course, normal grumbling is expected, what industry doesn't have that?

I don't even mind the "thanklessness" of the job..(because I know a lot of people who DO appreicate it).... UNTIL people who don't put their own butts on the line start judgeing the actions of LEOs from a position of complete ignorance. I resent the people who criticize LEOs from the safety and security that is largely provided by those very LEOs....

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited April 27, 1999).]

I can't answer for everyone, but I can - however - answer for myself. Speaking as one of those 10 thousand who do it for free and pay for all of my uniforms and gear, I do it for lots of reasons: I've always had an interest in law enforcement and found this to be a good way to learn more about LE without having to make a full commitment right away. Now that I have been doing this for a while, I've decided that I want to make it my career and go full-time. But for now I "drive a desk with a keyboard" for a living(not a lot of excitement). Driving patrol on the night shift gets me out and about, allows me to meet new people (good as well as bad)and often times gets the adrenaline pumping. I also get the chance to give something back to the community and help people who need it. I put in an average of about 70 hours per month - not a bad deal for the county - and in return I have received thousands of dollars worth of useful and interesting training (at no cost to me)and I feel good about what I do.

Just some of my reasons...
Daz

I was a serving naval officer for twenty years. I became a reserve deputy sheriff the last seven years I was in the Navy because I knew a fair number of highway patrolmen from our area, one was my Best Man when I married.

Law enforcement is exciting. As a reserve deputy I got to see things others can't imagine. After three to four years of being a reserve, I realized I could make a career of it. I told the sheriff what I was thinking and he said he would hire me. After I retired from the Navy, the sheriff hired me and paid my way through the police academy.

I guess I decided on law enforcement because I knew after twenty years of flying jet aircraft, some of those years off of aircraft carriers, I needed something to do that was as demanding on the mind, body and spirit. I didn't see selling life insurance, selling cars, or flying airliners as providing that challenge. I saw in law enforcement the same brotherhood of officers I lived with in the Navy.

Pay is not an issue with me. The Navy retirement helps considerably, though it was almost five years before my earnings equalled what I made as a naval officer. The senior deputy who works for me on the other hand really has to work at it to take care of his wife and keep two teenagers in food, clothing, and in private church school.

I work in civil enforcement, so I don't do very much the cops 'n robbers stuff that attracts the younger deputies. If I ever had to go back to working graveyard shift I am sure it would kill me. The last time I worked "graves" was seven years ago and I hated it then. I couldn't have a normal family life and my bowels never did figure what time was convenient for the daily routine.

It is as rewarding a profession as you can probably find. When I had my psychological examination prior to hiring, the "shrink" asked me what the one thing was that really made me mad. Without thinking and without hesitation I answered, "Vicious, unwarranted cruelty inflicted on a helpless person or animal." Looking back, I can say I have gotten the most satisfaction from sending someone to prison who took advantage of the weak.

------------------
Bruce Stanton

It's a wide-spread, popular misconception that the modern role of the typical LEO is to combat crime. Well, it's true, but it constitutes only a fraction of what a typical LEO does. Leo's also double as social workers for domestic disputes to playing role models for children, teaching subjects from controlled substances to date rape. In short, the shift has gone from crime fighting to order maintanence, especially proactive programs such as Community Oriented Policing.

No longer can the men and women in blue sit aloof, police officers must not learn to mingle with the rest of the crowd, presenting themselves as "I'm one of you", to be both a friend, a neighbor, and a comrade in arms. And that's a very difficult adjustment to make, even for seasoned veterans.

And all the while, it's still a low-paying, hazardous, thankless job. I must admit, even I don't want to end up being a beat cop. While all jobs have elements of which nobody likes to do, I just don't want to be stuck there for the rest of my life.

I'm jumping the gun. Not too long ago, my wife asked me what I really wanted to do with my life, what I wanted to be. I answered, "I have no idea who I am, what I am suppose to be, nor where I am suppose to be headed. I feel totally lost and confused." And I said all this while I was loading rounds into my magazine, preparing to go out. As I examined that point in time later, I realized what I have always suspected: I was meant to be on the Warrior Path. Not that I know this for certain, but the action does speak for itself. And no matter what happens to me, I always seem to drift back to this. So where does a self-professed man who follows the Warrior Path go to make a living? Despite the BS surrounding the job, I have chosen LE. After years of studying myself I know this with certainty because I know this is who I am.

This is a very good question and one that nagged at me for the 25 years that I was a police officer.

It was fun and interesting for the first 12 years for me. The last 13 years were hell.

I still don't know why I stayed until the end.

I can relate to all of the currently submitted responses very well but in the end I can honestly say that most of this didn't come true for me.

Low pay, long hours, swing back shifts, extremely tough on the family life by missing birthdays, holidays, school plays, class trips, being cursed at, spit at, called names that have long left my memory, cold wet shifts in snow and rain, unappreciated for what you do to help others, BS from within, being passed over for promotion because you "didn't play the game", seeing people die right in front of your eyes, seeing people mangled that should have been dead, etc., etc., etc.

I don't miss a single thing about police work!

Good question, "why do police officers want to be police officers"?

I wouldn't do it again and advised both of my grown sons not to pursue a career in police work and they didn't.

Retirement is the best thing about police work! :D

------------------
Jim

"Trust in GOD... but carry a GLOCK"

[This message has been edited by JMC (edited April 27, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by JMC (edited April 27, 1999).]

I got into it as a natural continuation of what I was doing before... Army Light I to MP, to Civilian LE, then to Fugitive Recovery (Leave me alone about that people) and now - I am out of it all together. I did it basically cause I always wanted to. As a kid I wanted to be a soldier, a cop, and Bobba Fett... Did it all. Been there and done that. Now, If I could just do the last thing I wanted to be... Dinosaur Hunter! I figure playing Turok 2 will have to do.

------------------
SICK AND TIRED OF...

Originally I needed a job and when I got older, I found out I had no marketable job skills.

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited April 27, 1999).]

Low pay? I live in southern california and am currently applying with the LA county sheriffs department. I've always thought the pay looked pretty good. Where else can you get 35-45 thousand a year to start, with nothing more than a high school diploma? I applied after college, so my starting pay will be even higher. As for why, well, I like helping people, and I think I'd enjoy the job. I know several retired LEOs who think it was the best experiance of their lives.

------------------
"Not all those who wander are lost."

My father had been in the Border Patrol and I was brought up around it. No other line of work held any attraction, and I felt that I was capable of doing the job and could help people. I also wanted to be outdoors and away from routine. I put in 22 yrs during which time the whole world changed. It was an education par excellence, but there were a lot of drawbacks. The cost was fairly high and I do not miss the stress and the craziness. The public is fickle and the administration often something out of Dilbert. My kids have not shown any interest in it as a career and I am both saddened and relieved at that. I feel that it is truly a 'warrior' calling but not many share that opinion.

------------------

GLV: My Dad was a career fed LEO. I also had two uncles (one Memphis PD, the other a Chief Deputy Sheriff and later Chief Criminal Investigator for a DA). Between that and wanting to be a professional soldier, I ended up spending about half my military career as a Military Police Officer. I know...it's not the "same" as being a civilian LEO, but there are similarities. I enjoyed it for all the reasons the other posters have discussed. I particularly enjoyed the camaraderie, the physical activity the job required and the privilege of leading and training some fantastic young Americans. I got tired of it for personal reasons I'll be glad to discuss off line on e-mail, so I switched to Special Operations, and I haven't regretted it a bit. Less BS...among other things. And no, I don't plan to go into civilian LE work when I retire this June!

I think policemen are like any other profession there are some good and some bad. The problem is many people in this country think the police can do no wrong and all their intentions are good. A very dangerous frame of mind. Police should be monitored very closely just like any other armed group roaming around the city. Checks and balances must always be maintained.

I would like to make one correction. Depending on where one is employed, a typical LEO CAN make quite a bit of money. As a personal observation, however, the amount of annual salary seems to be directly proportional to the level of hazard and BS one is likely to encounter on the job. Again, just a personal, untested observation.

I'm not a LEO. I just fix their cars. I know most of the officers on our city PD. I also know quite a few Memphis PD officers through my invovement with the Boy Scouts. I, for one, appreciate you guys. I've heard the stories, listened to the gripes and asked many questions. I really don't know how you do it. God knows, I couldn't put up with the crap you guys take everyday just doing your job. So to all the LEOs out there, I would like to say Thank you.

Well, I live in San Bernardino. I guess that explains why the pay is so good. This place is a hellhole.

------------------
"Not all those who wander are lost."

I dunno, but it must be a calling.
I have been trying to avoid this calling for many years and I think I am slowly succombing to it.
After many years in the highest rated Biochemistry program in the nation, I am thinking of giving law enforcement a chance when I graduate.
I know I could make more money, but what is money if I hate my job?
The departments I have looking into will put me at over $50K a year within a few years on the force with a degree. From there, the only direction is up, there are many places to go at that point (more action, please ;) )
As a bouncer of several years now, I understand what it is to work with my life in danger and with the camradre...and I love it. I know what it is like dealing with stupid drunks and being dispised by many, but it is not that big of a deal.
My wife is very supportive, and I think I may give it a swing. My dad was a cop for 32 years, and he loved it. He says it was the best carreer he could have chosen and his retirment benefits are awesome. There are many out there that think that there is no better job in the world. I can be a lot of things, and I may not like it and go into something else, but the draw is very strong, and I truly think I am going to LOVE it. As an ambitious person and a training fanatic, I will be determined to go into the more elite fields or departments and possibly even federal (please don't stone me, they need good guys too to balance out the "bad").
There is just a certain type that loves the job. The good must outweigh the bad. If you are thick skinned enough to brush off the criticisms and you are addicted to chaos and adrenaline, then there just is no other line of work. I love the feeling at my job when I never know what is going to happen: Things are calm and quiet, then BOOM, it's chaos and adrenaline. Love it. I hope I like Policework as much as I like bouncing and as much as I think I will.
If I don't like it, maybe I will go back to my original purpose and try out medical school (please don't kill me Dr. Welch).

thaddeus

In response to the ideas about "keeping an eye" on cops... I submit the following:

I think that officers should be given the benefit of the doubt. They have taken on a role in society that puts them at risk, for hte benefit of others. They have taken an oath in protect and serve other citizens. Citizens who often lead more comfortable and certainly less potentially dangerous lives.

Want to see what I am NOT talking about? Read the book "Cops Under Fire" by a guy named McShane. If the attrociteis outlined within don't convince you that LEOs are over-scrutinized and too often hung out to dry by the poiliticos they protect and help get/maintain there positions (how many elected officials have "gotten tought on crime" by sending out LEOs ??), then you will never be convinced and should be forced, IMHO, to live in anarchy with a whole bunch of other ingrates. :).

------------------
-Essayons

I was a LEO for about 10 years, back when.

You guys sound like good folks and good cops. But I see a problem today in that the young police applicants and young officers were raised on the same violent "kill 'em all" movies and videos that inspire the young criminals.

The result is that some of the young wanna-be cops act and sound like the Colorado killers - all talk of guns, killing, hate for minorities, what they will do when they get a badge and a gun and can kill people with impunity, etc. I hope PDs screen out these guys or a lot of trouble is coming.

Jim

Back