Why did Colt ever stop making their New Service revolver?

Salt

It was perfect!

I could go for larger grips, but otherwise the New Service was a great large caliber DA revolver. Colt could have got more police contracts up into the 1970's, not to mention the commercial market for outdoorsmen and CCW.

Colt has some bad marketing.

The New Service manufacturing equipment, like that for the Single-Action Army, was left outdoors at Colt during WWII, and was no longer useable. It was deemed unprofitible to make the gun again. Its popularity had fallen off, along with some other Colts, and unlike the SAA, the NS had no Western TV shows and movies to plead its case. It is also a very large gun for most peoples' hands. And, like all older Colt D.A.'s, it's cylinder timing leaves much to be desired. The Anaconda apparently filled its role at Colt's. Neither is as handy as an S&W N-frame, and I personally doubt that Colt will again make the gun, despite rumors. If they do, as a nostalgia item, the price will probably be ghastly, as is usually the case with Colts

JW

Hi, guys,

Lone Star is correct. Colt made many marketing errors, but I can't see dropping the NS as being one of them. Sales were just not there. In 1938-1940, they made only 2000 guns a year, not enough to bother.

There are a fair number out there in good condition at reasonable prices, and I think anyone who wants one can get one. I think that if Colt does bring it back, it will be a "new" gun, and any nostalgia market will vanish.

Jim

Jim K. is right, but the old New Service does have real charm. I have large hands, and can manage one pretty well. I really miss the 1930's vintage .45 Colt with 5.5-inch bbl. that I had to sell in college when my GI Bill check was late. The cylinder throats and bore must have been matched rather well; that gun shot into about three inches at 25 yards from "offhand" with commercial Remington ammo. Had we had Federal's splendid 225 grain SWC lead HP then, I'm sure it would have done better.

Good luck if you want to look around for a New Service. If I could afford "nostalgia" guns, I'd get another one. As it is, I do well to buy a very occasional modern "using" gun...

When the New Service went, I guess it presaged the end of an era in firearms, as well as in society generally. It sure served a lot of owners well, for many years.

Lone Star

I totally agree. New Service was/is a damn fine gun. Big, but that's not a problem for me. Accurate, and built like a tank.

Hi, guys,

WESHOOT2 has a point, although labor costs were only one factor. Colt was not exactly shot with luck in the pre-war period. They had a 13 week strike in 1935, a massive flood in 1936, a hurricane in 1938, and another strike in 1941. Losses were high and even military contracts did not pull the company out of the hole. Instead, Colt went through a long period of poor management, bad market assessment, and a string of owners, many of which knew nothing and cared less about the core gun business.

Colt also has had a philosophy of depending on military and police sales, with no real desire to cater to the civilian market, apparently feeling that it is not large enough to guarantee regular sales.

Jim

Back