Why can't I buy post-ban hi caps?

Daren Thompson

I am I member of the KY national Gaurd, therefore military. As a member of the Gaurd shooting team they issued me to take home Gov/LEO hi caps. As I understand it LEO's can buy post hi caps, could I walk in slap down my ID and purchase hi-caps that are to be destroyed on my ETS? What about post AR-15's with evil features?

I have too much time on my hands :)

Later
Daren

Yes, too much time.

Those magazines don't belong to you, they belong to the NG. Assuming they are post-ban, if you retain them after you cease being authorized use of them (i.e., you leave the shooting team) your possession of them will be illegal both as post-ban mags and as stolen Government property.

Even if they are pre-ban, they would still have to be turned in. (If your supply officer didn't get you to sign them out on a hand receipt, he is not very swift.)

You can't buy post-ban mags on an ID card as they can only be obtained through military/police procurement channels. (Pre-ban mags can be bought by anyone.)

You also cannot buy M16s or police type AR-15s for the same reason. Also, these are selective fire weapons in addition to being military/LEO only.

Of course, you could try some of this stuff; then you might have lots of time on your hands - 20 years.

Jim

Daren (and our other, respected military and LEO members), I suspect this whole line of discussion can tend to make you reexamine the logic of why you're serving (and what you are serving) in the first place, no?

What a revoltin' development ... so to speak. ;)

Jeff- I do not plan to reup for those reasons :)

It is my understanding(and yes it is probably wrong) that an LEO cam walk into a gun store and buy post-ban mags. Yes I do know that to buy a post AR he needs the department letter head or whatever, I just threw that in as matter of fact.(not all LEO post ban AR's are select fire). I also know that the hi-caps I now possess ARE gov property both pre and post ban (I have both and yes I know how to tell the difference :)) My question is if an LEO can walk in and buy hi-caps why can't I

Later
Daren

[This message has been edited by Daren Thompson (edited August 10, 1999).]

An LEO can buy post ban high caps if he has a statement on departmental letterhead signed by the chief or person in charge of procuring equipment, allowing him to do so. The same goes for the Colt LE ### carbine. An officer cannot simply walk into a store and show a badge and purchase high caps, at least not in my experience.

Phillip is correct. Just one more peice of crappy legislation from our wonderful rulers in the Disatrict of Communi...OOPs Columbia.
Paul B.

30 rounds or 10 rounds? They're both lethal. Hi-cap bans are stupid...

[This message has been edited by Floyd2U (edited August 12, 1999).]

Back