Why are there no polymer revolvers?

Tropical Z

Other than the Baikal one we saw several months ago why aren't there some polymer revolvers? A friend says its because polymer wouldn't hold up to a revolver's action,but i'm not sure i believe it.I think a polymer framed revolver would result in a great carry piece! The search function results in no info.What do you think?

You'd still need a metalic cylinder and barrel, how are you going to mount those to a polymer frame in a manner such that either will not be easily broken free from the frame?

~USP

Not impossible, at least for the frame, but revolver sales are not large enough to justify retooling unless there is some real big advantage. I don't see one, especially with ultra-light metals being used more and more.

Jim

Even if a polymer revolver were feasible, it wouldn't be lighter than scandium, aluminum, and titanium alloys. The only possible advantage, as far as I can see, is that they might be cheaper to produce.

Drakejake

There is at least one. Is it all polymer? No. But even the so called polymer semiautos have steel slides, chambers, and barrels.

------------------------------------------------

From the Guns & Ammo web site.....

0319FA3A.jpg

- Nurnberg Germany’s 2001 International Trade Fair for Hunting and Shooting Arms -

"Radically different is this top-break .357 Magnum revolver built by Russia’s Baikal featuring a polymer frame."

Interesting ... good to see the Russians are keeping busy making civilian arms. First I've heard of a polymer frame revolver! I wonder what it weighs. -- Kernel

-------------------------------------------------

link to previous discussion: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=68765&highlight=russian

Last edited:
Back