Why are light hiking boots only made in D?

SIGarmed

The Danner Radical gtx 45,and Asolo Fusion 95, Hi Techs et cetera.

I got a new pair of Danner traditional stiched work boots from the Cabela's and my proper size is an EE. They fit perfect.

Now I'm looking at the newer lighter type hikers and they don't come in all sizes. These are only available in sizes with the D width. Whats with that? Aren't they losing a whole part of the market?
I must say that I wear sneakers and other similar shoes in D but they are so flexible I don't mind. Is this the reason no EE sizes with the light cement constructed hikers?

Its a buisness decission that the above companies only choose to make their boots in a single width. In general, throughout the footwear industry as a whole, Men's widths are D, and womens are B.
There are a few companies that will cater to various sizes, however, most companies will not due to the high cost of having to produce and carry the same shoe but odd size widths. The market you are refering to is getting shut out, yes. Unfortunately that market is a lot smaller than you think. Here's a couple of companies to take a look at:

Montrail
Vasque
Cabella's

These companies offer larger widths. Montrail's boots I know fit larger volume feet, high in-step, wide toe-box, wide heel....

Also, check out Backpacker magazine's annual Gear Guide. A good resource for reference. Outside review is also an excellent resource Outside Review

Hope this helps, happy holidays.

Back