Why are 38 spl wad cutters hard to find?

Wheelman

I've been looking for 38 spl wad cutters whenever I stop into a gun shop and no one has them. Went to a gun show on Sunday and could'nt find any. How come? Don't people spend a lot more time practicing than shooting bad guys. I would think that the manufacturers would be selling a lot more target loads than serious loads. Don't people like the neat holes that wad cutters make? What am I missing here?

Wheelman

Tony - Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. But still, what does everybody use for practice with their 38 spls or 357s? Am I the only guy looking for wad cutters to practice with?

I take it you are looking for loaded ammunition. I think most serious target and recreational shooters shoot reloads. I have to. I shoot from 30,000 rounds upwards a year just in pistol. My reloads in all calibers run around $5.00 per hundred. No way could I afford to shoot factory stuff.

Many sources for componants.

Sam

This probably reflects the switch from revolvers to semi autos over the last 15-20 years. People used to shoot 38 wadcutters all the time and they were readily available at gun shops but now most people seem to shoot 9mm Luger, 40 or 45. In 38 special the most available loads seem to be the original 158 gr RNL and 130 FMJ as well as 125 gr JHP+P.

If you patronize a small gun shop maybe they will special order for you.

Try Carrol in connecticut I think, do a web search on carroll bullets, and you willl find their site, they will UPS them to you.
Other commercial reloaders will also sell them in bulk (1000 or more). A local store in DE sells them X-ring supply. I reload my own and prefer the semi wadcutters.

http://www.carrollbullets.com/

$105 per 1000 rounds 148 gr. lwc hollow base:)

But still, what does everybody use for practice with their 38 spls or 357s?
As mentioned, many reload. Those that can't use reloads for legal reasons (such as Law Enforcement, Government, Armored Transport, Security) use the same premium ammo that they are issued to practice with. Every now and then, you can find some American Eagle 38spl wadcutters at a small gun shop. I grab them when I can.

I would think that waddcutters are not that popular with anyone but bulleye shooters. Why because they offer nothing over roundnosed lead for plinking. They have some disadvantages over standard ball for self defense training. For instance they don't work well with speed loaders. If someone is practicing for ccw this is a bad thing. They are a different fullet weight and recoil less than most 38 defence loads. This makes them a poor training choice.
PAT

Now he's got me using it.

My father's been shooting WC for years, but usually can't find them where he lives. I can get them for him at the two largest gun shops here or any of the gun shows.

He'll be 80 in January and doesn't want to wear out his Python :)

The best deal so far was from a local shop last year. They found a couple of old cases of Federal Gold Medal 148 gr. Lead Wadcutter Match somewhere back in the warehouse and sold them for about half price - $8 for a box of 50. The nickeled cases have some discoloration in spots, but boy does it shoot!

I didn't give him all of it.

John

Target shooters use wad cutters because they simplify scoring. Factory wadcutters are very accurate to 50 yards because a lot of money was spend in developing them to the highest standards.

If you want factory ammo, AFAIK, the major companies still load the .38 Special WC, although you may have to ask your gun shop to order it.

Jim

A sporting goods retailer that just opened in my area stocks wadcutters in factory loads. I am not sure what brand but I want to say Federal Match grade. They aren't all that cheap either as they are almost twice the price of LRN or FMJ / 50:D

Here in Arizona, J&G Sales in Prescott sells Federal 148 WC (Gold Medal) for 14.25 a box (13.54 per box by the case). I know Remington and Winchester still make them because the Border Patrol pistol team still uses both for PPC. I don't know of any bulk suppliers for these though. If you reload, Widener's sells Star 148's at a very good price. Star 148's and 2.7 gr of Bullseye is the classic target load and great for plinking, too. Hope this helps.

I have been buying .38 special semi-wadcutter reloads for $4.00/50 from a local dealer. I shoot quite a few of them, and found them to be accurate and economical for target shooting.
The dealer also sells regular wadcutters for less, than the
semi-wadcutters. I have never bought the regular wadcutters because I was told that they lead up the gun a lot more. Does anyone know if the semi-wadcutters leave less lead in the forcing cone or barrel than the regular wc ? I have been considering switching. Would probably save more than a hundred dollars a year on reloads, and would be worth it if not anymore cleaning involved.

I'll second SlingShot...Georgia Arms wadcutters have been superbly accurate for me. After reading Firearmstactical.com, I use it as my .38 defense load as well.

J&G Sales

38 Special by 3-D, 100 gr. Lead Wad Cutter

This is 3-D/Hornady factory reloaded ammo. Brass case, non-corrosive.
Comes in 50 rounds boxes.
50 round box. . . $7.95
500 rounds . . . $69.50
==============================================

Back