Why are 1911 triggers so much better?

utvols

As far as slack in a trigger, it seems that 1911's often are factory tuned to have little to know slack. Handguns such as Beretta, Sig, and Ruger all have a considerable amount of slack in single action mode.

Thats because the 1911's are a single action, so the trigger/sear relationship is constant. The double action autoloaders also provide the ability to cock the hammer with the trigger (double action) as well as single action, and as such, have different engagement points to accomplish this. If you're still curious, try stripping a 1911 frame and one of the others you mention, and you will easily see for yourself!

P.S. I would have someone on hand who knows how they go back together-especially the DA autos!

vols,

The reason for this is that the 1911 is a straight line trigger system. The trigger bow has a very short distance to travel before it hits the disconector to start the firing mechanism.

Yes you can get a light trigger pull,but you also can get trigger surge and an occasional full auto.

JMB saw this weakness in design and corrected it in the Hi-Power. His words,not mine.

The newer systems that incorporate a trigger bar and different disconnect systems have eliminated the problems of the 1911 design.

OK--all that stuff is straight out of the book.

1911's still have the best feel of any of them, and the fastest follow ups

Have fun!

The above is correct (love and agree with the superlative sentiment!) with the addition of one little fact. Most double actions and the like have a TWO-STAGE fire control. Their trigger bow is linked to a sear bow is linked to the sear. If you put the safety on a Beretta or S&W 3G, you can still pull the trigger all the way through.

Not so for the 1911. The trigger bow goes right to the sear, with no intermediate linkages and the like. Less moving parts=less slack and travel.

I agree that a light 1911 is best however I do love a smooth double action revolver trigger. The take up and the break become second nature to the shooter. Older N fram S&W had the best action in mho.

Back