Why are 14" barrel shotguns so common?

Super-Dave

It seems most manufactures make a 14" barrel shotgun for police/

Why 14"?

A remington could easily be done at 12" and I think a Benelli could go to 12" a mossberg could go to 13" all of these can be done with a standard magazine tube.

So why 14"? I looked up vellocities and the velocity difference between a 14" barrel and a 12 barrel is less than 20 fps.

Capacity is likely the reason...
They ain't just for police, you can own one too.

standard magazine tube
Not the 500... I am looking at my 18.5 inch barrel 500 and it appears to be 4 inches from muzzle to tube. So 14 may go but 12 or 13 wouldn't.
Brent

I've seen the Mossberg 590A1 14 inchers and they're 14 inches because that's how long the 5rd mag tube is.

There's a tradeoff between capacity and maneuverability. Seems 14 inch barrel and flush mag tube is a decent compromise.

There's always the Serbu Super Shorty.

So in yalls opinion there is nothing special about the 14" barrel? More than likely the manufacturers make a 14" barrel gun so they can sell it in canada and this is the only reason for the majic 14" barrel gun?

And the age old question rears its ugly head once again: If you put a 16" rifled barrel on your shotgun, is it illegal?

gyvel And the age old question rears its ugly head once again: If you put a 16" rifled barrel on your shotgun, is it illegal?
It's not an age old question.
It's also not illegal.

Putting a rifled barrel on a SHOTGUN does not change the fact it is a shotgun.
The NFA of 1934 says any SHOTGUN with a barrel length of less than 18" requires a tax stamp for a short barrelled shotgun.

Short barrelled shotguns are perfectly legal.........with a tax stamp.:D

Back