Why am I missing?

monte1

Inactive
I would love to hear your thoughts on why I might be missing birds.
I hunted last weekend, using Kent #2 fasteel out of my Benelli nova. I missed geese from about 40 yards, and black ducks from 35-45 yards.

How much lead do you use at long distances, especially with some wind?

Should I consider other loads like Black Cloud?

I have never known someone who accurately guesstimated distances in the field - example, one friend said he was shooting at 35 yards. Upon using a laser range finder, he found out his 35 yards was close to 68, so that is usually an issue. Secondly, what are your loads doing on the pattern plate, let alone the trap/skeet/sporting clay targets? Thirdly, what type of shots are you normally taking when hunting? Incoming, crossing, outgoing, flaring up, etc....?

I usually do pretty well in sporting clays.

I was taking mostly passing shots, with some incoming and some outgoing, actually, all of the shots you (big D) mentioned.

I thought maybe I wasn't continuing my swing after the shot, or I wasn't leading enough. I estimated distance my pacing off certain markers in the marsh... Very frustrating.

Are you seeing rib? Then you most likely are shooting above. Otherwise, without seeing you, I would venture a stopped swing and missing behind.

If so, try missing in front, most cannot

It's very easy to ease your face off the stock as you shoot, especially if you're looking to see if you've scored a kill. Remember the golden rule: Head down (rock on the stock) and follow through.

If you are doing okay at Sporting Clays and missing ducks, I think you are on the right track; your lead is off. You may also be picking your head up. Keep your head down, and if you miss, add lead. Keep doing that until you start to connect. A duck is usually going faster than a clay, and they are farther away, and they require considerably more lead. Just when you start to think you must be shooting in front of them the light will dawn. Then you can go sea duck hunting. :eek:

I agree with everything above and want to add: Balance is a key to good wingshooting. I hunt waterfowl a lot and have found my percentage of hits goes up dramatically if I'll take the time to make sure I'm balanced before shooting.

Balance? You mean you have never shot a duck behind your right shoulder with the butt of the gun in your left hand and your feet in 2 feet of mud?

A lot misses with a shotgun at skeet, trap sporting clays is due to lack of floow threw maintain a proper lead and follow threw.

Big D
Great advise, I was told the same thing many years ago

"Get your eye down behind the bead"
and
"If you are going to miss, try to miss in front of the bird"

I never manage to put shot out in front of the birds, but I did start hitting them!

again
great advise

Back