Why all glossy finishes?

Ike Clanton

I am still relatively new to powder coating and when picking color sheens I really prefer flat black but ultimately decided on semi gloss since it seems nearly everyone uses a high gloss finish. Is there a reason or benefit to this? I imagine there are more lubricating properties to gloss which could aid feeding but is that all?

Honestly in the short time I've been using powder I've accumulated probably a dozen or so colors. Most all of them come out slick or shiny. I really haven't noticed much of a difference.

I put the coating on before sizing and after being sized the bearing surface is usually slick.

I think the glossier stuff just adheres better for our applications. If you’re using a spray gun to apply I think you can get away with more options, but most shooters use shake and bake method.

I think the " Clear" coating is pretty cool myself ...
at least you dont look like you have a belt full of Lipstick's in your cartridge belt .
Red is bad enough but I'm not doing no "Pink" colored ammo .
Sometimes us old guys just have to draw the line and say no ...
I would like to see some "Flames" on the bullets ...like what's on a custom hot rod ...
Flames are cool !
Gary

at least you dont look like you have a belt full of Lipstick's in your cartridge belt .

But my mom likes the pink ones!! haha.

9-26-15%20002_zpsxwzsxpat.jpg

I think the glossier stuff just adheres better for our applications. If you’re using a spray gun to apply I think you can get away with more options, but most shooters use shake and bake method.
Yes... even the Harbor Freight Red did a good job when applied with an electro-static powder coat gun.

Back