Who'd be interested in this?

Nightcrawler

I've got this idea. If I had my own gun company, I'd put put a test run of 5-shot snubby revovlers, with titanium construction and maximum compactness.

The available cartridges would be (moonclipped):

.45 ACP
9mm Parabellum
.40 S&W
10mm Auto
.357 Sig

The idea would be to produce the ideal "backup" for someone carrying an auto pistol in one of the aforementioned calibers as their sidearm. Ammo standarization is, well, convenient.

It's probably a specialty item, I know, but do y'all think there'd be a market for such a thing? If that worked out, I'd have my gun company look into making a line of full size service revolvers in said cartridges.

.357 Sig would probably be a no go.

Bottlenecked rounds and revolvers really don't go together very well.

S&W tried the .22 Jet years ago, and even with a long, gentle sloping neck the cylinder would quite often bind up as the shells tried to back out.

The sharper and shorter the shoulder, the worse the problem.

In a high-intensity cartridge like the .357 Sig, I'd bet that it would lock up so tightly you'd need a mallet to get the cylinder open.

I'd love the idea. I think Mike's right about the 357 Sig. You could also sell your 10mm as a 10mm/40S&W since it would be clipped. That would sell versatility in that model and reduce your overhead by eliminating an unessecary model.

No real point in the .357 sig in a revolver anyway, since you have the .357 mag that'll do the same thing. Though that kinda defeats the purpose of a standardized backup for an auto pistol, unless you're carrying a Desert Eagle. :)

As a backup for the 9mm/40/45/10mm guns, it would be nice, since the auto backups are often said to be unreliable, which is the last thing you'd want in a backup gun. Not sure how many people you'd get buying, though.

Is ammo compatability really an issue when carrying a New York reload? I don't think so....but if you do start your own company, don't sell out on the trigger lock or we'll be calling you *crawler.;)

If, friends, IF

IF I had my own gun company. I'm afraid I'm not really the business type.

Anyhoo, do you mean an internal gunlock? No thank you. Why spend the extra money? It'd make the manufacturing of my revolvers cost more!

As for my handgun coming with a trigger lock, yes it would. Only because if it doesn't, then the purchaser has to buy one of his own, here in Michigan. Yes, here in MI, you have to buy a gunlock with any firearm that doesn't come with one.

"New York Reload"? Heh.

Neat concept. .41mag backup for the loud Coonan. .357mag backup for the junior Coonan.

Wouldnt excite me tho as I usually carry wheel backup for the other wheel. That way no thinking required. Also even tho I am little, I don't like light weight loud guns.

Sam

A "compact" 45 caliber revolver is an oxymoron. The cylinder will be at least as big as a K frame. Too big to be a "backup" in my opinion.

A "compact" 10mm revolver, if you are using real 10mm loads and not the watered down 40 S&W-like stuff, is going to really really be not fun to shoot after about 1 round.

How bout maby goin the other way. .32mag autoloader primary and back up wheel in same cartridge ?

If one were to use the S&W I frame .32 hand ejector as a pattern, could have a six shot wheel gun that was 20 percent smaller than a Model 36 J frame. And bout 20 percent lighter when loaded.

I guess size is relative....I used to carry a 696 .44spec snub as backup, on occaision.

Sam......havin choices is neat.

Small Wheel Gun

I can agree with CR Sam on the smaller 32 acp or even a H&R 32 Mag, smaller than a J Frame......

>>Also even tho I am little, I don't like light weight loud guns.

Me neither, but the general public seems to. These TI and other high-tech guns are almost a license to print money. I bet 85% of them won't ever see more than 1,000 rounds put through them.

justinr1

Back