Who uses red dot scopes on shotguns?

BlueOrbit

Inactive
I have a B-square mount for my Remington 870. I am thinking about adding a Trijicon Reflex II red dot site that I have on one of my carbines to try out. I installed it, but have not tried firing the shotgun with it yet. It feels and looks great!

I would like to have a fast target aqcuisition capabilities and increased accuracy with slugs. Does anyone here use red-dot scopes on shutguns? If so, please describe you experiences: good, bad, etc...

How do these scopes hold up to heavy recoil?

Can I shoot clay birds with it also?

Does it make any sense to do it?

Thanks for any input...

I don't think you will get increased accuracy with slugs if you are using a "saddle" mount for your red dot. There's too much possibility for movement between scope and barrel.If you take the barrel off for cleaning or swap barrels you pretty much have to start all over. If you're lookin for accuracy you might want to try a barrel with a cantilever mount or mount the scope directly to the barrel so it would look more like a scout rifle

I tried it

Put the exact same set up (BSquare and Trijicon Reflex II) on my Mossberg 590A1. I thought it worked real good for slugs and I think you'll like it for that. Mine was steady as a rock once it was sighted in.

Regards.

My first firearms instructor had a pump gun he equipped with some manner of red-dot scope. It turned him from a frighteningly fast and accurate shooter into a downright terrifyingly fast and accurate shooter. I suppose once you get to THAT level of skill, such things matter. I'm nowhere near there, so the few times I played with it I shot pretty much exactly the same. ;)

Mike

in this months AR they recommend the Bushnell holosite on goose guns.

i would think an aimpoint scout mounted would be pretty fast and not interfere with your point view.

i wonder how well it would hold on the sight rail...

dZ

I have a Holosight on my 1100. I had a Tasco PDP5 and it worked as well but I got too much ribbing about it looking like a "beer can on a broom handle". I used some weaver base stock and drilled and tapped the rib. It makes a nice clean mount.

Back