who uses MATCH primers?

Sevens

I think a lot of us start somewhere and get in to a groove and maybe we don't deviate when stuff just WORKS. For me that was very late-1980's and CCI-500 SP was what the LGS had, so that was where I started.

When I started .45 Auto a bit later... well CCI-300 LP! .30 Carbine? CCI-400 SR!

Eventually I branched out but I never dared dipping in to MATCH primers. The easiest reason was that everything I made worked great for me, I had no reason to suspect that some more expensive and harder to find match primers were going to revolutionize anything that I was doing.

I still feel that way, really. I want to believe that match primers could and maybe would show their worth in some precision rifle loads at great distance?

Match primers in SP and LP seem, well, optimistic to me. But you guys must have a lifetime experience to share also, so tell me where you are with match primers if you care to.

I agree. Match primers in an ultra accurate rifle seem like something to try. Anything else seems like a waste!

Match Rifle

I shot F-TR class competition for a very short few years, couple of matches a year. My heavy .308, exactly 18lbs per regulation, used 175 grain projectile and used Federal match primers to light a dose of Varget. Primers were available and cheaper then. I still have enough loaded ammo for a weekend match and a couple of thousand match LR primers......but the cost of bullets and powder and travel ( 600 and 1000 yd ranges are not common in my area) have driven from the sport.

I use them for some calibers--for the simple reason they are less likely to have ignition failures with tuned cartridges. Basic hunting cartridges--no, don't use them

Primers can make a huge difference. But testing is the only way to know. The name on the box means nothing if brand X gives you lower Extreme Spreads and Standard Deviations.
Make up batches with everything exactly the same, except primers. By exact I mean weigh the brass and powder. No powder throws. Then Chrono. You may be surprised.

If by Match primers you mean BR-4's, then I'm guilty....in certain calibers and for my bolt guns and a precision 223. AR calibers primarily get CCI 400's or similar.

when prices are "way to high" anyway, and the difference is little, i use what ever is in the LGS.

haven't noticed any real difference. but haven't tested apples to apples, only apples to walnuts so far.

I found smaller deviations in fps on my loads. With pistols, I don't see much in the way in change of accuracy. With rifles, I see a bit tighter grouping out beyond 300yds or so. I would have to dig up my records on which cartridges and specific numbers. If memory serves on my Savage Model 12 chambered in .22-250Rem, it was easily around .25". Beyond 600yds I couldn't tell if Match primers were effective or not. That's pushing it for that cartridge to begin with.

In the end, I don't see any advantage using them for plinking and hunting accuracy. Doesn't hurt, any, either.

I used to - when I had a Remington XP-100 in 7mm BR - guns is gone but I still have those primers; guess I could load them in some other gun.

As i understand it, the only difference is who makes them. More experienced workers make match primers. Less experienced make regular. The idea being, more experienced workers will make more consistent primers. Maybe if your on the razors edge as a competitor and its its make or break to lower your es/sd a few fps. But i does plan on buying any.

As i understand it, the only difference is who makes them. More experienced workers make match primers. Less experienced make regular.

That's my understanding too. I think I've read that here on TFL. Was probably an Unclenick post :D.

Am using Rem 7 1/2 br primers in 223. They work very well with 748, but they are also described as magnums.

Back when used to hunt, used Fed 215 gm match primers for 257 Wby.

More experienced workers are the key. Usually helps, but not necessarily. I've seen at least one test where one lot of Federal 205s actually did a little better than a lot of 205Ms. So there's a certain amount of catch as catch can involved. You just have to test your lot. If you get a bum one, scope out a lab balance and sort the primers by weight. Yes, I know how exciting that prospect is. But before you do it, do the full case prep and see if that isn't more helpful.

Back