who threaded your barrel?

Chris Phelps

I'm going to be picking up a suppressor for my 22lr in the near future, and Im curious... who threaded your barrel for the suppressor? Was it a gun smith, or machine shop?

I did mine myself but any good machine shop can do it. Any good gunsmith can also either do it or has someone that will. Make sure it is done correctly for your suppressor. The outback should be cut to .400 inch long any longer it will hit the first baffle. There are are few others with length issues also.

one other factor that must be mentioned, and that is one of suppressor warranty...for example AAC will not warranty your suppressor unless the factory did the threads or it was sent to them for threading. Im sure there are other simular clauses amoung the other manufacturers. 10/22's are easy as you can just ship a barrel to be threaded instead of the whole thing, or buy a tactical innovations barrel that is allready threaded for example.

(and this isnt against any of the fine gunsmiths and machine shops that do fine work, its just the rules we are given to play by suppressor makers to assure a botched threading job dont cause damage...and them have to financially eat it)

It's not simply a matter of threads being cut. It needs to be aligned to the
bore's centerline. In addition, the shoulder adjacent to the threads must be
of sufficient height, and be squared to the threads for proper abutment.
That said, you've got to see how nicely this Ruger bull barrel was threaded....
the precision of the thread protector cleanly camoflages the cut. I saw
Gemtech's craftsmanship and appreciated it so well, I had my local C2 perform
the same before beadblasting the pistol's SS finish.

My C2 was machinest in former life, and now a full time firefighter. When not
working at the FD, he's in his shop/garage tooling. Nice thing is that he's 10
mins from my driveway and I dont have to worry about shipping/insurance etc.

Attachments

• dater1n2.jpg
    dater1n2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 144
  • MkII-w-CAC22.jpg
    MkII-w-CAC22.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 134
Yeah, what Raymond said. That pic is a beautiful example of Gemtech's craftsmanship in their field. Now, all of that stuff about warranties being said, you must also realize that Michelangelo wasn't the only artist on the planet. You just have to be careful about finding the right person with the right skills and equipment for the job. I wouldn't hand over a threading job to someone who hasn't done one before, no matter how skilled a machinist they are.

chris -
sorry, C2 shorthand for Class 2 manufacturer.....(C3 for Class 3 dealer). that's why
I'm so lucky. he can build silencers, take my NFA gear and modify, etc. He's taken
my 308 bolt gun and threaded, AR7 and threaded, the Ruger MkII, my FAL.....
converted my HK SP-89 to accept A3 telescoping stock.....

214qhzs.jpg

bottom line is as folks have said above... as long as the machinist has success-
fully performed threading of barrels for suppressor use (not just muzzle brakes
or flash hiders), then they may actually know and have experience with the
task and the precision and alignments required.

Gemtech will thread for about $100 which is what I gladly paid my C2 since I
avoided the risk of shipping (and theft and loss).

Ivan is on the Recommended Dealers List on the Bower's board.....give him
a try, since he's near you. Ask if he threads.

Ivan Shapiro - Northern Maine Tactical Supply
Specialties: Class 2
PO Box 325
Fort Fairfield, ME 04742
Phone: (207) 476-0000
E-mail: ivanREMOVETHISSPAMGARD@machinegundealer.com
http://www.machinegundealer.com

http://www.subguns.com/c2c3/c3state.htm#Maine

Threading the barrel isnt much of an issue... I know several people around here that will do it. What I am absolutely in love with, and am searching hard to find, is someone who can cut and thread the barrel in a manner in which the threads can be hidding by a cap of sorts when the suppressor is not mounted on. (such as the first picture you attached of the Ruger pistol).

so far, my most favorite picture of a capped barrel that has been threaded is one I found on Sniper Central, but I believe he said he purchased the rifle already threaded, so asking him wouldnt prove to be of any help.

threaded.jpg

sounds like i need to ask him how what the technique is, eh? lemme give that
a try and you can convey this to your machinst. i vaguely remember but
would like to get the sequence correctly described. r-

P22. No threading required.:p

I did thread a Beretta 92 barrel for a friend once. At my shop I can use the manual or the CNC lathe but I really prefer the CNC. It lets me get right to the shoulder with a minimum undercut plus it's far more accurate than the old manuals.

It's really no big deal as, like others have said, you have the barrel ID indicated in at the end of the barrel and at the chuck. Some barrels would make me nervous though. The bore and OD aren't exactly concentric.

Doug @ SRT (www.srtarms.com) can and does do a decient job. He's worked on my Berretta 87 (not the Cheetah). What he did was cut down the barrel under the slide, and fabricate a .5x28 adapter that when screwed on to the barrel under the slide, looks to be part of the barrel. It fits my AAC Pilot and Gem-tech Outback II can's GREAT!!!

Back