Who sells cast bullets??????

Joey V.

I am thinking of starting to cast but I really dont want to... Problem is I can't buy what I wan tto try and I dont want to buy what doesn't work so see my issue?? :mad:

I would like to buy in pure lead the following cast bullets to try:

Lee R.E.A.L .50 in 320 cal
Lee R.E.A.L .50 in 250 cal
The Sharps ringtail bullets .54cal. Track of the wolf has good ones but they are ALWAYS sold out....

I loved Buffalo Ball-ets in .50 270 cal. but that dude goes in and out of business every other week so...........

I wonder if there could be an money in casting my own and selling a bunch.....
THx

Does one need an FFL to sell uniformly sized chunks of lead? Completed rounds, sure. Consumables that aren't covered by Hazmat rules, I would hope not.
But then I've been wrong before.

I think the class 6 is for manufacturing loaded ammunition. With a casting business, I think you mainly have to worry about EPA regs. But I'm not certain. Call the ATF to see if they have any license requirements for selling cast bullets alone.

The good news is you can get into bullet casting pretty cheap.

The Lee 20-pound production pot is about $70. You can get away with an old dutch oven over a propane burner and a dipper for cheaper.

Lee bullet molds run about $20.

Pure lead is about $2 a pound or so.

The manufacture and sale of ammunition COMPONENTS requires an FFL. I am not 100% sure on the class, but I do believe it is the class 6. I have seen some guys post and say the casting and selling of lead bullets does not require it and others say you definitely do. Call the BATFE and talk with 2 different agents, you will get 2 different answers. Last I heard, even the cast bullets were subject to the excise tax that the other components are subject to, hence they need the FFL.

If you do call the BATFE to get your question answered, request the answer in WRITING. That may be your only defense in the event of legal activity. The cost of the license is low enough that it should really be a non-issue if you plan to get into the business of casting and selling lead.

There are also a number of places that sell cast bullets. A simple internet search of "cast bullets" should produce a pretty good number of vendors. Some of them are bound to offer the ones you are looking for.

Back