Who says you can't have it both ways?

Picher

We have a ground blind on a former County Road that's now a Snowmobile Trail...at a sharp corner where it goes into another trail. We can see about 450 yards in one direction and 300 in the other. When a person is in the blind alone, they had to keep turning their head 180* to check the whole trail.

I came up with the device shown in the pictures, a bicycle mirror with velcro strap; attached to a Mono-Pod. It can be right-side-up or upside down. Upside-down doesn't interfere with using the monopod for a rifle rest and is still usable as a walking stick.

Both the monopod and bicycle mirror were bought at the Wal-Mart sporting goods/bicycle department. I have about $24 invested in it. It helped me get a deer behind me at that stand last year. (Caution; deer may appear farther than they really are.)

Attachments

• PB060057.JPG
    PB060057.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 77
  • PB050050.JPG
    PB050050.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 63
Interesting. I would have guessed that the image was far too small to be useful if the deer was very far away. I had thought of something similar for a tree stand but assumed it wouldn't work very well. Seems I'm wrong.

Neat idea

don't know if I'd carry it around with me but for a permanent stand. (looking backwards hurts us old guys sometime).
but of course you don't want the sun reflecting in it.

so Brian how's the mast crop in NY? headed upstate next week
- I know here in NJ the acorns are so thick they're not coming out of the woods to eat my apples this year, weird.
good luck all
C

Hehe, cool idea.
No you just have to learn the old sharpshooter trick of shooting over your shoulder using the mirror to sight in:D

I would have guessed that the image was far too small to be useful if the deer was very far away. I had thought of something similar for a tree stand but assumed it wouldn't work very well. Seems I'm wrong.

I would think it would be the deer's movement that will catch your eye ..... so you can turn around in stealth mode. If you don't know he's coming down the trail till he's close enough to hear .... too late- if you move when he's that close, you're busted.

Yeah, probably so, but I was picturing them just crossing the trail, a couple hundred yards away.

I'm going to have to try it now.

180º Hold down the Alt key while keying 167 from the right-hand numerical keypad.

Many other useful things: ½, ¢, ñ and others. Explore.

We've used that ground blind to take dozens of deer, but had several walk up on us from behind several times. I used to have a right-side pickup mirror to use and it worked fairly well, but I lost it. This works much better because it doesn't seem as curved as most right-side auto mirrors. It won't turn 90*, but still works fine, and can be tilted a bit, so both eyes can see the image at the same time.

When I walk, using the monopod as a walking stick, the mirror is turned backwards, so it isn't flashing around much. It could be covered, or easily removed and placed in a backpack, since it's attached by a velcro strap.

Last edited:
Back