Who needs a gas mask?

Hell yes get one rated for the C/S that

atf uses. with all the guns you are collection its only a matter of time till you get a "visit" from them in the middle of the night. To discuss your recent purchace. "Honest sir I did'nt know the sherman was fully operational its just a lawn ornamant <VBG>
jmlv
tongue firmly in cheek:D

A "Gas Mask" rated for CS will not protect you from any of the nasty stuff JBT's might use. You know things like nerve agents, blood agents, mind control agents etc:rolleyes:

Seriously unless you are expecting a visit from the local SWAT unit or are a professional Exterminator a gas mask is an expensive trinket.

Filters are another problem. Every toxic substance has its own type of filter. Get a safety equipment catalog and look at the offerings, it will bogle and confuse your mind. Unless you know the specific agent you will probably have the wrong filter, and get seriously ill or die.

Military masks are usually sold with filters good for CS/CN tear gas only. Useless for any of the nasty stuff. You have to know the color code for the filter to know what it is good for.

As a professional who requires respiratory protection, I use SCBA. It is safer and protects you from anything that can be inhaled as long as it won't eat the rubber mask. Downside is the air tank, which does get heavy.

Goshdernit I love Skunkabilly threads... I swear, the man has gotta have an ATF agent assigned to him personally by now, just to read his posts and report the gems back to the boys in black. :p

Anyhow.. latenight thought just popped in my head... what do smokejumpers use in forest fire situations? I'm quite possibly about 3 months out from my mountain cabin finally :D... and all those woods can be quite the tinderbox come late August. It might be handy to have some kinda rig in the truck for haulin' back out to town come a bad fire (God forbid).

thanks!

-K

Kaylee in some Wildfire gear catalogs I have seen that they are marketing a type of filter mask for wildland firefighters. Not having that particular problem in my neck of the woods I just skimmed it. Looks like it tries to keep the hot gases from entering your lungs more than keeping smoke out.

You want to filter the smoke out too. Even cold smoke inhalation in quantity can either kill you then or bother you for life.

Sam

If I live about 4 miles UPWIND (sometimes the Santa Ana desert winds change this...) from some train tracks, would it be a good idea, or should I be bugging out like a mofo?

Kaylee, they don't just assign an agent to me, they have an entire field office dedicated to me...in fact they let me rent out an office in their building, so we both win: they can keep track of me, and I get cheap rent!!

Back