who makes the P9 pistol often used in ipsc and uspsa shooting

I believe the weapon you are reffering to is made by H and K.

------------------
"peace, love, joy, and happiness..."

Those race-guns are often "muts"... a bunch of this and that to make it fast and accurate. The P-9 must be a STYLE of gun... like the 1911 is a STYLE of gun. There's so many guns that start with a "P" that it's gonna be rough. I have a Ruger P-95, Sig has an entire "P-Series," Kel-Tec's got a P-11 and P-40. Those are model numbers though. Walther has a P-88, P-99, PPK. Pistol this and Pistol that.

I can't think of a racegun built by Heckler & Koch... I don't know how many people are going to be able to help you on this one. Someone gave the address for Smoking Hole Pistols the other day... they got some really neat looking guns; this is the address: http://www.smokinghole.com/

Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

I believe you are referring to the Tanfoglio P9? I believe Springfield Armory markets a P9, also CZ and EAA.

These were the rage among IPSC shooters before the STI/SVI/McCormick hi-cap frames were introduced.

[This message has been edited by bk40 (edited November 30, 1999).]

Springfield is the only one I know of that calls it a "P9." CZ is a CZ75 or CZ85, and EAA is a Witness.
I too am looking for info on the Springfield Armory P9 as a possible higher-quality alternative to an EAA Witness. Anybody who can help?

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

If the P9 was made by Tanfoglio and Tanfoglio makes the Witness why would the former be better? If you want an improved Tanfoglio check out the IMI Jericho (now sold as the Eagle). It's a joint project between Tanfoglio and IMI. IMI has one of their engineers inspect the parts before they're shipped to Israel where they're hand fitted. If you can find an older CZ75, not the new CZ75Bs, or even better a CZ85 you won't be disappointed either.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Ummm . . . was I on crack? I was sure I'd heard of the Springfield P9 and that it was supposed to be a CZ75 clone, but I've been looking all over Springfield's website and I can't find the thing offered!

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

P9 is a CZ 75 clone made by Springfield. Next to 1911, CZ 75 I think is the most copied handgun design.

------------------
jj0287

Springfield Armory discontinued the P9 a couple years back.

Every now and again you might see one up for sale on the different auction sites.

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

I have seen the HK P9 used in several different shootin matches. It is a full sized service gun in .45 Auto. It is "Match Grade" and highly reliable.
I recomend ANY HK... The P9 is Highly recomended.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey, have I mentioned my new book? It is called:
MEN ARE FROM MARS and WOMEN JUST NEED TO DEAL WITH IT!

Tanfoglio made the "P-9" parts and Springfield made them into a P-9.

Virtually identical to the Tanfoglio TZ75 and the EAA Witness.
NOT identical to the CZ75 (but a close copy).

If you want one recommend getting a new EAA full-sized blue 9mm, then send it to EGW (Evolution Gun Works) for a full make-over into a high-cap 9x21 racer. Mags are readily available.

I own two 9mm frames, shooting one as a 9x19 only, the other as a 9x21 comped, 9x19, 40S&W, 41AE, and one 'large' frame that came in 45, but now wears a 100% reliable 38 Super top end (Limited).

Love the guns, hate the triggers (all are still DA-capable).

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Weshoot2 is right, parts for the Springfield P9 were made by Tanfoglio (in Italy). Tanfoglio-made guns have also been marketed under their own name and as Witness-brand.

I had a compensated 9mm Tanfoglio P19S, it belongs to the same family. It worked well, but I traded it for an uncompensated gun I needed more. Guns of the Tanfoglio-family are close copies of Czech CZ75 and I am not aware of any quality differences (some CZ owners claim the original is stronger, but I have not seen any hard facts). Where I live (in Finland) "original" CZ75s are more popular, but there are also many Tanfoglio owners.

Ossi

I have a P9 Ultra (40s&W), and it appears to be IPSC approved or authorized on the roll mark on the slide. I also have a witness 10mm so I can compare and contrast the two guns. The springfield P9 has a much nicer finish, better sights (from the factory) and front cocking serrations. The witness is rougher finished, almost parkerized, lacks the front cocking serrations and has the front of the slide cut more like a high power. Both are exceptionally reliable, easy to clean and quite accurate.

I sure wish I could chase down another P9ultra. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

By the way, both are made by Tanfolgio, new Tanfolgio mags work fine and EAA support is great for the P9. Springfield will even recommend EAA if you call for support. Also other then the external finish, the fit and quality of the parts appears identical, even though the guns were purchased several years apart.

Get a p9 if you can find it, otherwise get a witness.

Back