Who makes the heaviest/fastest 30-30 rounds?

I see that Buffalo Big Bore Ammo makes a 30-30 cartridge in 190 grain at 2100 fps. Remington Core Lokt, my usual go-to round comes in 170 grain at 2200 fps. If I were to hunt elk with a 30-30, which would be better? (mainly if my son were to carry my 30-30. He's small) Will the 20 extra grains make enough difference to negate the loss of 100 fps? (assume shots are under 100 yards)
Does anyone else make a heavy/fast load that will penetrate elk sufficiently?

Last edited:
When I lived in Idaho, I knew several hunters who used 30-30 on elk. They usually used 170 gr factory loads, works fine as long as you don't try to break a shoulder or spine them. Just hit the rib cage right behind the elbow and wait until they fall down.

The few times that I carried my .30-30 for Elk, it was stoked with plain old Remington 170 gr Core-Lokt factory ammo. I never felt 'under gunned'.

It's more than enough for a heart, double-lung, or head shot. Trying to neck-shoot a bull, spine-shoot, or break bones might cause some problems, but a traditional 'kill zone' shot is well within reason.

I won't shoot BB ammo in a lever gun. So, if I were to take a .30-30 out again, I'd probably go right back to the 170 gr Core-Lokt.

"...a 30-30 cartridge in 190 grain..." The kind of bullet construction is far more important than muzzle velocity. Velocity at 100 yards matters more too.
$64.54 per 20 and out of stock anyway.
Lots of big moose have been killed with regular 170ish .30-30 ammo, up here. Isn't anybody's cartridge of choice for Bullwinkle, but it works.
"...Will the 20 extra grains make enough difference..." Nope.

I've seen the results of hunting elk with a 30-30. The elk died. Good old 170gr flat nose cup and core bullets from Winchester, Remington, and Federal short 'em through and through. Can't ask for more. Longest shot was pushing 200 paces.

...but the shots were placed right.

Back