Who makes a "slim" 1903 pattern sling?

bamaranger

I'm searching for a narrow version of the standard MRP 1903 sling to fit on a rifle( (77/22) with sling shackles that are not big enough to accept the full size sling.

A vintage 1903 pattern sling in my possession, which works, but is a bit fragile, is 15/16th in width. That fits the shackles perfectly, but an 1" size would be too large. Something like 7/8ths would work OK too.

This sling would have to be sturdy enough for slinging up and shooting in traditional positions.

Nothing really comes to mind. I recall seeing the 1" ones, but to go narrower- a trip to a saddle, tack, or boot shop shouldn't be a real big chore providing they (or you) can get the hooks narrowed down.

Pretty sure I have one around here somewhere, I picked it up at a flea market for a couple bucks ~20 years ago. I'll see if I can dig it up and look for markings.

Well, I thought I had an Uncle Mike's sling I could try on the 77/22, but I can't seem to find it in any of the places it should be. I will keep looking, though.

Last edited:
mine

The one I have is every bit of 40 years old. It came off one of my Dad's rifles when I was a kid, laid around for about 30 years, and I've resurrected it on the Ruger. Promptly pulled apart and had to be restitched, which shortened it.
And it is still very soft. I can remember seeing a lot of these narrow 1903 pattern slings on deer rifles n the 60's, though I never saw anybody actually sling up and shoot with one.

Trimming a 1 inch model down is a good idea, I may see how that goes.

The boat paddle Ruger stock has small shackles that will not take a 1" sling.

I never did locate the Uncle Mikes 1" sling, but after pulling the Ruger out it doesn't really matter anyway. My Ruger is a Standard Blue/Walnut '84 model and it has the quick disconnect sling studs, so I guess you could install different widths of swivels to accommodate most any sling. I'm not too familiar with the boat paddle, but it sounds as though it has fixed sling swivels.

shackles

The old "boat paddle" stock has shackles, similar to what would be on a service rifle....think Garand or M14. The sling is attached by passing same through the shackles....no swivel studs or sling swivels. But on the 77/22 at least, the shackles seem down-sized.

I am sorry, but I can't find mine. I ransacked all the boxes in the garage where it should be, but it isn't there. I have moved twice since the last time I remember seeing it, I suppose it is possible I got rid of it, but I really doubt it.

I have kept less useful stuff for far longer.

I will keep my eyes open for it, and if I do, I'll let you know if it is marked.

Naturally as soon as I posted I couldn't find it, I did, in a pile of junk on top of the safe.

The only marking I see is "hunter" in a powder horn. It measures .94" wide with my calipers, so pretty close to 15/16".

For comparison, both my standard GI leather slings are ~1.2"

attachment.php

Attachments

• hunter_sling.jpg
    hunter_sling.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 68
persevere

Well, emcon!

A gold star to you for rooting around and finding that sling, the pics, and maker.

Thanks much.

Hunter still makes leather products, I'll check it.

Back