the only markings are: Bob Dudley serial no. 06295
also no. 141 Laminated steel reloisum
12 ga. 30in.barrels
I have found that there was a Grey and Dudley
Hardware Co. in Nashville Tn. and that Mr. Dudley's
first name was Robert . If this was a trade gun
who made it?
Thanks for any help. Knife Man

There are some other people looking for Bob as well.

www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1098053896&user=RKenSparc

"It's a side by side 12 guage it has Belgium on the barrel one barrel has choke on it and the other has new diana on it. On top between the barrels there is the patent # and dec 20, 1892 on it. Is it worth anything?"

"I have a 12 guage side by side that has Bob Dudley on the side and has the date 1892 on the barrel. I m am also trying to find out info on this gun."

"I also own a Bob Dudley double barrel 12 gauge shotgun. As far as I know the name of the gun is Bob Dudley. I would also would like to know what it is worth. It is a mean "kicker"."

I also found a 1950 mention in a newspaper article of a well known trap shooter by the name of Bob Dudley, but he was from Oregon.

I Googled for "new diana" to see if I'd get a hit on Crescent firearms, but no luck. I really need to get a set of gun books for the office. :)

John

There were literally dozens of makers of trade guns in the late 1800s-early 1900s period. Many of the guns had names that mimicked famous gunmakers names (like Westley-Richard instead of Wesley Richards, Perdey instead of Purdey, and so on). In general, they were lower quality guns, copies of patented, more expensive action types, or just junk. There were few if any records kept on the source of most of these guns.

Diana was also a common gun name or model, even used today. Diana was the Roman goddess of the hunt.

The fact that the barrels on your gun are laminated (twist) barrels precludes shooting smokless ammo through them, and some folks recommend not shooting them at all (even with black powder).

Thank you Scorch and johnbt

I Thank both of you for your help in identifying
this Bob Dudley shotgun. I may never know the
hold story but you have helped so thanks again.
Knife Man

Back