WHO MADE THAT GUN

Harley Nolden

Staff In Memoriam
I noticed as I surf the boards that many of us inherite firearms from our G-parents and dads. These firearms are antiques, classics and many times by mfg's no longer in existacnce. Or made by a major mfg. for another company, (HARDWARE GUN)ie; Western Auto, J.C. Penny, Sears etc.

Sometimes we purchase a firearm because of looks, price and type, not knowing what it is or where it came from.

Do you have one? Maybe I can help you identify it and possibly provide a little history. This is a free service to those seriously interested in firearms for the purpose of collecting, competition, hunting, or plinkin.

HJN

------------------

Harley,

Thanks from all of us for the generous offer of your time. I'm sure we'll quickly fill up any of your available hours. In fact, when I get home today, I've got some questions on a couple of old side-bys that I want to run by you.

Hi, Mr. Nolden,

Ms. Shiela Tucker, of Australia, is looking for info on a SPESCO revolver, .38 Caliber. She says they were importers for Taurus and may have marked Taurus revolvers with that name. I have only a vague recollection of such a company as an importer. Can you help her? Her address is mstucker@zion.com.au, and shoot me a copy if you would at keenanj@frederickmd.com. Thanks.

Jim Keenan

Cool Mr. Nolden...

Please tell me about this:
Sears & Roebuck Model#101.7 2 3/4" side by side 12gauge shotgun...two triggers (fwd and rear)

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Harley-
I tried to reply to your email to the TFL Webmaster but the mail was rejected. Please email me direct.
Rich Lucibella
rluci@ix.netcom.com

Harley, you've already helped me out once, and I appreciated your trouble.

If it is alright with the members posting the questions, it would be very interesting to be able to read your responses. That is, could you post your responses in the thread instead of usually just emailing them?

Jeff:
Sure. The only difficulty is that most are wanting the assem/disassem for specific firearms and I don't know how to put the slides on the net. I can however put the ans. to the cross over questions and other than photos or slides on the forum.

Harley

Harley..

If the photos/diagrams are digitized I can put them up

------------------

DC

The Sears model 101.7 is actually a STEVENS/SPRINGFIELD model 311. This guns has been produced from 1939-1989 for most Hardwars Stores. Sears, J.C. Penny, Wards, Western Auto and the like.

In it's day it was a great gun for the price and wore like iron. I have restocke many many of these shotguns and have had to repair very few. It is a good gun.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited April 09, 1999).]

DC:
WHAT IS DIGITIZED?
My slides are in gif format and reduced to 25% to save disk space. To post the slides on the web would be atronomical. Each slide is approx 125k, and each firearm, to many to mention, has approx. 12 pages.
hjN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited April 09, 1999).]

Rich:
Please resend your message. If it is rejected try my web site @

members.tripod.com/~stock4broker/Firearms.html

that has a direct email response box.

my email address
hnolden@excite.com

HJN

Harley..
Thanks for the info on the shotgun...it is a fine utilitarian piece.

Gif format is digitized...send me a couple and I'll play with them to see if I can get them smaller. Whats the total byte count of your pic/diagram collection?

------------------

Harley, what can you tell me about the S&W Model 66 stainless .357 Magnum revolver? Saw an older model today for $325 (can probably be had for $275 to $300), no transfer bar, and it looks to be in good shape. I am told the 66 has been one of S&W's best models ... your thoughts about its history and desirability?

How about a Colt .22 Buntline Scout? It's a six round .22lr single action revolver, has a 9.5" barrel, is entirely blued, and has wood stocks.

It's the first pistol I ever shot. Started shooting armadillos (nuisances) with it at the farm when I was about 7-8. My dad gave it to me to keep about a year ago, and I'll probably never get rid of it. I am curious, however, as to when these guns were manufactured and if they have any substantial value that would prompt me to stop shooting it. It's in very good condition with probably about 90% of the original blue. (Sorry, don't have the SN handy)

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the offer, I have an old 22 single shot rifle, the stock is very simplistic (may
even be homemade). The only markings I can find is noted below. Thanks again

HAMILTON RIFLE NO. 51
22 CAL S - L & LR
C. J. HAMILTOM & SON
PLYMOUTH MICH. U.S.A.

Harley and Jeff Thomas,

Please accept my apology for jumping in here but Jeff's question about the S&W Model 66 with "no transfer bar" bothers me. S&W's do not use a transfer bar, they use a hammer block safety, which is visible in the hammer slot. If it is not present in the gun, the gun has been tampered with and is unsafe if dropped. Might be one to pass up.

Jim, sorry if I used the wrong terminology. I was told that earlier model 66's did not have this design, and so it was not tampered with. This was told to me not by the seller, but by another fellow away from the seller. True?

Jeff: The model 66 S&W is a stainless model of the S&W model 19. The Stainless came out in 1971 and the blued model came out in 1956. If my memory serves, the hammer block came into being prior to 1971.

I base this upon the Ruger recall of the Ruger Super Black Hawk, prior to 1971 to modify and install the hammer block, due to a casualty.

As I check the parts list for the Model 19 & Model 66 there is listed a HAMMER BLOCK, PART #052940000. This would indicate to me that a hammer block is required.

HJN

BULLDOG

According to my records the Colt Buntline Scout, was mfg'd from 1957-1970 on the Colt Q Frame. The .22 cal or .22mag (introcuced after 1960) in 4 1/2 or 9 1/2 (buntline) were available with interchangable cylinders after 1964. 246,000 were made during this period.

According to the Blue Book of gun Values, 17th edition, the gun is valued @ 100%=$400.00 degrading to 60%=$140.00. In the Buntline you can add 20% to the above values.

HJN

Back