Who loves Tikka for small game hunting?

I have one of the Tikka T1x's in 22LR. The weight is reasonable to carry hunting and it shoots one ragged hole groups at 50 yards, sub 1" at 100 and I can break clay targets set on the ground at 250 with it.

For small game, it's usually a 22LR. For me, that's usually my Remington 541T, nice and light and extremely accurate with American Eagle HPs. While I so have several other very accurate 22LR rifles, most are heavy barreled for targets, so the sporter gets the workout.

JMR40 I assume that you are using subsonic ammo.

CCI MIni Mags. Both 40 gr RN and 36 gr HP. I have a Leupold scope with adjustable turrets. I've used the trial and error method to figure out where to set the dials for various ranges with different ammo.

I've only tried sub sonic ammo out to 100 yards. It isn't enough more accurate to help, but the trajectory is a lot harder to work with.

Favorite small game rifle?

I have over 25 rimfire rifles in my collection including an Anschutz 1416 D/KL, but the one that has been getting the most use for the past ten years is a Mossberg/New Haven Model 250 CA semi auto carbine. I picked it up at a LGS back during the Obama days and the .22LR ammo drought. The 250 CA can shoot .22 Short HV and for a long time that was all the the .22 rimfire ammo I could get in my neck of the woods. The rifle/ammo combination is perfect for taking gray squirrels when the leaves are off the trees.
Gary

Old 1970's magazine fed Marlin Glenfield bolt action .22 LR with a fixed 4X Nikon. Sweet shooting rifle. Taken ALLOT of small game and varmints.
Close contender is my Henry .22 LR lever action. Most definitely more fun for plinking as it faster to shoot and dead on with iron sights.
Not much you can't do with a good .22 rifle. Shot placement has the final say, but CCI Velocitor (40 grain / 1435fps), offers the punch to take down coyote sized varmints.

Last edited:
For small game i usually use me Hawthorne 410 bolt action.
Although my new CZ720 has been doing well.

If i'm taking a rifle for small game it's usually me Mossberg 22 Mag bolt action.
With it's 24" barrel it's more like carrying my centerfire hunting rifles, just lighter with less recoil.

You have my curiousity with the Tikka 1X. Gonna have to check one out now.

Back