who is your favorite shop... to re-blue... re-nickel ???

got a couple ( actually several ) old guns both original & some custom guns, the deserve some 1st rate finish / re-finish work... some like a custom Remington Rolling block rifle, I'm looking for a high polish blueing, that matches the reciever, on the new barrel & pins... some like a "chopped" 38S&W top break spur trigger, 1/2 the nickel is missing ( the reason this was subjected to a barrel chopping in the 1st place ), & I'd like to either have it re-nickeled in bright nickel, or possibly blued ( I don't think there are any major pits in this gun... just brown pantina where the nickel is missing )... some guns are more "pitted" & a bead blasted nickel or blueing would be more fitting... I've found a couple shops that can do the bead blasted nickel & blueing, but am looking for suggestions for a shop you guys have used with good results for shiney blueing or nickel jobs... but would still gladly take recomendations for bead blast finish shops you've used & had good luck with...

who would be the "best" to send to for both a re-blue, & or a re-nickel job...

I understand "best" is a tough word to quantify, so here is my definition...

someone who's turn around time means the gun won't be out of my possesion for the better part of a year...

someone who will do the proper disassembly, & proper cleaning / polishing, & reassembly of the gun... for a quality total job

someone who does decient work, but doesn't charge an arm & a leg ( I'd be prepared to give up an arm for some of these jobs... just not an arm & a leg ;) ) these are "medium" priced guns, & of course, not to worry... I'm not trying to re-finish anything that would damage it's value by re-finishing it...:)

Last edited:
thanks... for the reply...

You do know that refinishing a gun may lower its collector value by quite a bit.

yup... I know... these are guns that have already been customized ( in the case of the Rolling block rifle ), or fairly common shooting grade revolvers, whose mechanics are very good, but whose finish is so ugly, they don't have a whole lot of collector value, & I'd just like those prettier when I'm shooting them

Back