Who is hunting with a 45LC and what are you shooting?

jnsn

I was hoping to use my new-to-me Blackhawk this fall for deer and was wondering what round people are using to hunt with. I have been looking at the Cor-Bon Heavy offering. thanks for any input.

;) If you handload, try heavy full wadcutters. In .45 colt a buddy has made a custom mold that delivers bullets of 290 grains. loads 'em after 15 grains of CBC220 (more or less like your 2400) and shoots 'em off his blackhawk 7.5" barreled at 1050 fps. It kills wildgoats of up to 120 pounds notably faster than my superblackhawk with Keith's semiwadcutters - 160 grains - at 1300 fps. We never atempt shots past 50 meters.

Last edited:
Whatever load you choose, it should be hitting at your point of aim. Sometimes if the revolver is fixed sighted, you need to tailor a load, or at least know where the bullet strikes in relation to your sight picture. HTH

Just this past weekend I shot a decent-sized Axis buck (around 175 -200 lbs) with my S&W 25-5 with 4" barrel. The range was 35 yards. One shot, one kill. Ammo was PMC "cowboy" load - 255 gr. lead flat point at around 800 fps. I hit him right in the front shoulder and he ran about 15 yards before folding up. Penetration was complete through the opposite shoulder even with the low velocity. This is not my usual hunting ammo (Corbon 265 gr Bonded Core at 1300 + fps or reload), but is what was in my pistol at the time. There is no season on the imported Axis deer in Texas since it is not considered a "game animal" and they can be harvested any time.

is a ruger vaquero built heavy duty enough to shot heavy 45 loads.
the cowboy loads i buy are so dam weak i would have to have my buddy make some powerful reloads for me.:o

Scoops - I think it probably is. As a general rule the Rugers are well built and strong. I've shot my Vaquero 7.5" with some hot Hornady XTP 300 gr and have had absolutely no problems.

45 LC loads

I use a heavy load of 25 grs H110, CCI Magnum primers, Starline cases, and a 250 gr Hornday XTP. Clocks at 1250-1300 fps. I haven't got to shot anything yet but hope to this season.

COR-BOn has a couple other 45LC loads also. I think their 300 GR JSP looks good at 1300 FPS! Even their hardcast 335 GR lead load at1050 would be good. It depends what you're looking to shoot with it! Your 265 Bonded load is also a good one. It's about time someone has come out with a stout load for using the 45 LC for hunting!

I have carried a heavy loaded Smith 25-5 for years while hunting deer and pigs. I have never used it to take one, but I carried it. The load was a 335 hard Cast LSWC over a lot of WW 296. I love that powder. The chrony said 1200fps. I now shoot the same load in my new Ruger Blackhawk Stainless. I took that big Smith hiking in the mountains on many a trip. It was heavy, but I never felt unprotected. That revolver is retired from the field now, and has been replaced by a Smith .44 Mountain Gun. Much lighter and handier to carry.

Back