who here shoots ARCHERY

hi im just wondering who shoots archery here, as a pastime, hunting, sporting event, w/e.

I shoot recurve exclusivly and have a compound i shoot once in a while.

Got that turkey yet? Thought about trying it with a bow?
Still haven't got my bird but haven't given up either!

I don't think there are enough archers here to justify a separate forum, but feel free to bring up archery in posts here in this forum. Heck, even if it's not specifically hunting-archery.

Art

:)

haha nope i havent gotten it and probably not a bow this year-maybe next spring year for bow, i may get a bigger bow this summer-a 45 lb Bob Lee bow-500 bucks-and then use that for deer and maybe turkey.. i dunno, i may go out this year again i dunno, im bussy!, state shooting sports this weekend-and im a jr leader and stuff so i have to help setup and run flights n stuff-maybe

Joseph

Yep. I've shot archery for years, taken some big game animals with it too. I hunt elk nearly every year, but seldom take one - too busy enjoying myself. I reserve the serious, gotta fill the freezer hunt for rifle season. During archery season I'll spend a lot of time just talking to the elk don't worry at all if one gets away - happens a lot. There is nothing in the world like talking to a big old herd bull for a few hours right after sun up!! (Except maybe seeing him come in stomping, screamin' and peein' all over hisself!!! :cool: )

I hunt with a longbow and wood arrows. Traditional archery is my first love followed by shooting my 44 mag. revolver. I'm venturing out this weekend to hunt turkeys with my longbow. We will see what happens.

Ron

Several bows & used 'em for decades, but seemed to have had a falling out with archery lately .... the pendulum, I guess.

No longer. Put in for archery deer tags this year - either sex & in the backyard. ;)

Bowfishing's ahoot - haven't done that in 25 years though I'd bet ...

I used to shoot one quite a bit but since having sholder surgery a couple of years ago it's too much of a strain to pull one back. Never did much hunting with it, just targets.

Longbow, recurve, and compound all with carbon arrows. Except when it's time to go on a carp huntin' safari, then it's time for the fiberglass arrows. I've taken quite a few deer with a bow, and bazillions of carp (more fun than most people would think it is). Haven't tried going after turkeys with one yet.:D

A friend finally got me into archery last year, I have a PSE compound. Went for archery deer last fall (no luck), will be going for archery elk this year. I belong to a club at the Air Force academy, so I can go shooting at lunch or after work (I work right across from the academy here in the springs).

Hey JoeB - how is Good Ol Hays Kansas doing?? My parents are from that around that neck of the plains (Walker and Zurich). Haven't been out there for a few years, but might make it out there this summer. (Kansas in the summer?!?! - could be a sign of brain damage on my part:p )

JohnDog

cool

its awesome this many responses already, i have our state meet this weekend, and in a few weekends were going to the Nebraska 4-H state meet and their letting us compete in open and 4-H devision but its ALOT of shooting -its by broken arrow NE-its 30 arrows at 20, 30 arrows at 30, and 30 arrows at 40 with barebow, thats for the Target portion and the 3d is 1 arrow at each target, but i bet they have alot, its gonna be FUN! haha...and a long day, i hope i place

cool JohnDog walker is just like 8 miles from hays or thereabouts, and u may have brain damage if u want to come out here in the summer haha, but if u do tell me and maybe we can shoot at the sportsman's club-like north of the fairgrounds right above I-70, or our Hays Longrifles club place 11 miles north on yocemento road from hays, and maybe even our private range (just archery there) 4 miles about from the highschool :)-ttyl Bye

I didn't do any hunting with my 60# compound, but I was getting pretty accurate with it--and then Arthur Itis attacked my right shoulder. That ended that.

Back right after WW II I got into a real Indian kick. Started making bows of cedar (lived in CenTex, just outside Austin). It took a while before I learned how to make one which wouldn't split.

Store-bought bow strings, nylon thread for holding the feathers on--and a dab of airplane glue :), but everything else was home-made. Stripped turkey wing feathers for fletching; barrel hoop for arrow heads. Arrow shafts were some kind of local growie.

I got one spike buck, one fox, two jackrabbits (One of them was the unluckiest rabbit in Christendom; he zigged when he should have zagged.) and two rattlesnakes.

Lotsa fun. Breechclout, copper amulet armbands, headband with turkey (let's-pretend eagle) feathers and home-made moccasins.

:), Art

Still kinda waiting to get the gump up enough to start playing around with making my own atlatl. Got all the stuff, & that all "woods-bought" except for a coupla stone points - I do have some problems with the knap.

Points of hardwoods/bone = no problem. Got the turkey fletch, shafts made, sinew, made some scrapers, did some shapin' ... yeah, yeah ....

Kinda dinked around with the whole concept in parts, but have never quite thrown the whole thing together.

Some day.

Did try the "woods-made" bow a couple & they do split more than not, no? 'Bout the best we've up CO-way is Mtn Mahogany ... skimpy stuff that.

Wow Art! - That's the same get up I wear for elk huntin' but my moccasin's are storebought. ;)

(I actually wear a partial ghille suit, but do have a pretty cool native american costume from the old days dancin' with a local heritage Boy Scout group. Bells, feathers, jewelry, leather, and headress - its all there, And doesn't look too bad on the stereotypical viking sort...)

Last edited:
You bet, Joseph!

I started out with a Ben Pearson compound: long and accurate shooter. Then I moved up to an 85# Fred Bear tricked out with a peep and sight pins. I'd do 7:8 hits on 1 pint milk cartons at 60 steps.

But I chucked it all for a modern... diplex, is it called? Not exactly a long bow (it has a bit of recurve) and not exactly a recurve (the limbs are much narrower). It's much lighter than any compound and shoots very smoothly (some longbows have a nasty feel in the holding hand) and quietly and launches my 31" 2213s (yeah, almost logs!) at 212fps. I'm using a split-finger tab (I tried three-under searching for a different anchor point; it didn't work for me.) and really enjoy moving around with very little, light weight equipment. Flu-flus with judo points, fiberglass with barbs: they're all a delight! Best of all: my bow case is a fishing rod tube! Yeah, I get some looks...

One disadvantage, though: I can tell that the arrows don't settle down until 15 steps. Groups at 20 through 30 steps are tighter than those under 15.

PALongbow, good luck with that turkey. I'll bet taking a tukey on the ground with a bow is *tough,* especially in the spring when they're all spread out. Art, you're a wildman! Pound any drums, did ya? I knew a guy who lived in a teepe. Year-round. In northern Arkansas. He was into Bosadev, some god of the forest. His big trick was running through the forest. At night. As fast as he could. Hoping Bosadev would keep him safe from collisions with trees. I'm not sure he avoided 'em all...

Well, it wuz all the Boy Sprouts' Camp's fault. They had an allegedly-real Injun, one summer, whose stories just added to my having read B.A. Botkins' "Treasury of American Folklore" and various books about travels in the West during the early 1800s.

Stuff all that stuff into the mind of a 14-year-old and Lord knows what'll happen. My mother laid down the law, however, when I first brought home a fresh rattlesnake skin..."No mas!" :D

Guess I've been a woods-rat or brush-bunny, all my life. "Gimme a 10-second lead, and only a dog can find me."

:), Art

I shoot a Bear Whitetail Legend. I've recently become somewhat disgusted with all of the doodads you can put on your bow, and have started learning to shoot instinctively. I'm not very good past 25yds yet....

Archery

Hunts with a bow? That brings back some memories. It's been , maybe 8 to 10 years since I have shot my bows. Have several longbows. Successfully hunted deer, blackbear, geese, rabbits, carp and stingray. Used to shoot field archery with the NFAA. Wonder if they are still around? I ought to get back in shape, but so many other things to do. ;)

Back