Who here has a CZ 527?

FirstFreedom

If you do, tell me about it please!

Yesterday I was in local gunshop. They have a 527, *heavy barrel*, in .17 Rem, and it's $20 less than the same gun in .223 without the heavy barrel, for some reason. Tried the set trigger, and that thing is suh-weeet. I had wanted this rifle in .22 hornet, but now am thinking of getting the .17 rem. 20 grains at 4300 can reach out there, ya know. I can feel a real urge to get this rifle welling up inside me (you know that feeling?), but it's the last thing on earth that I NEED. Unless someone can hopefully convince me otherwise.

Last edited:
No one's replied yet, but I have a related addendum that some1 may care to comment on:

At another gun store today, I handled a CZ550 "Minnesota" in .270. It ALSO had the CZ set trigger! So, is that the Minnesota designation - meaning it has the set trigger? I have to say that is one sweet rifle for the $438.99 price tag - that trigger, after setting, was probably under 1/2 pound; 1 pound at MOST. Wood stock, blued action, 23.6" bbl, no sights.

Hello. Mine is one of the early imported 527's and it is in .223 Remington. It is not the heavy bbl. The rifle shoots quite well with all factory loads up to 55-grs that I've tried. (That's the heaviest I've shot.)

With handloads it "likes" I can usually get 3 shots into about 6/10" or so. I have yet to find a load it does better with than Winchester's 50-gr. BallisticSilvertip factory load.

I've collected a few turkey and varmints with this rifle.

Best.

My brother loves the finish and performance of his CZ .22. I would expect no less in the heavier caliber.

I have the rifle in .22 LR. I really enjoy it. In fact, I like it better than the early Kimber of OR Super America I once owned. It's a great shooting, good handling rifle. Recommended.

PS

Check out www.rimfirecentral.com for a lot of info on the little bolt rifle.

thanks all

Yeah, but not the 452. I mean the 527. Does it come in .22 also? This is the rifle that's chambered for rounds like .223, 7.62x39, .22 hornet, 17 Rem (NOT 17 HMR), 222 rem, and .22 rem jet (or .221 fireball). It has a set trigger.

The CZ 527 is a small scale mauser action centrefire rifle .... totally different from the CZ 452 rimfire rifle.

All CZ centrefire rifles have an adjustable single set trigger. The 527 used to be marketed a few years ago (at least in this country) as the Brno Fox in .22 Hornet, .222 and .223. At that time it had a double set trigger system. I gather they've added a couple of calibres and a few more models including varmint styles and carbines in 7.62 x 39 among others.

My experience of a Brno Fox .222 with double set triggers was that it was a beautiful rifle. Beautifully scaled down, like handling a fine 28 ga shotgun, it was just a joy to handle and carry. I found it to be a super accurate little rifle with little or no recoil and a delightfully light, crisp and precise trigger. Ragged one hole groups were relatively easy to achieve at 100 yards with a 4x scope and it was devastating on wild goats.

I loved that rifle, but unfortunately I had to give it back to its owner.

For more info you might wish to try the CZ forums www.czforum.com

I'm sure you'll find more info there. You could also check out the CZ USA webpage www.cz-usa.com

I've owned a 527 and while it had good qualities there were aspects I didn't like. The good qualities were light weight, an action scaled to the cartridge and impressive accuracy. Despite the light barrel it shot under an inch with just about everything and sometimes much better.

However the magazine lips were very sharp and gouged the brass to the point where I wouldn't reload it. The magazines were stoned smooth by a gunsmith.

The single set trigger was either too heavy while unset or dangerously light while set. I couldn't get it adjusted to my satisfaction and eventually just ignored it. I much prefer double set triggers to single set.

What turned me off this rifle ultimately was the backwards safety. Unlike just about every other safety it must be pushed forward for safe and pulled back to fire. I know that some equate this with "cocking" the rifle but I could not live with a rifle with a safety system that was opposite to everything else I owned.

I owned a 527 American in .223, and it was a great little rifle. If you take your time with the set trigger, you can get it how you like it. There is a problem with the lips of the magazine being sharp, but you don't need a smith to stone them, you can easily do it yourself.
My 527 would shoot half inch groups all day with 45 grain winchester jhp varmint rounds. They are super cheap too.
BTW, all 527's have the set trigger.

-SM

Cz27

I've got one in .22 Hornet that does well...but is a little picky.

Brass has a lot to do with accuracy in this caliber. I've had the best luck with Winchester factory brass.

Best load averages .989" for five shots at 100 yards. Worst load averages 1.619" for five shots at 100 yards.

All in all, I'm happy with the rifle. Shoots acceptably, easy to carry. A nice rifle for just walking around.

I don't care for the safety but that is more a "user" issue than a "rifle" issue.

My favorite topic! I have a CZ 527 FS .223 carbine that I love. I put a Leupold VXII 1-4X scope on it. On the day I sighted it in at the range, the last three groups were all under 15/16" for three shots at the 100 yard range. That was off of sandbags using the set trigger. I put a Fox Ridge Outfitters braided leather carry strap on it and when I shoot it I feel like Allan Quatermain, all I need is a safari jacket and a floppy brimmed hat. It is one of those rifles that makes you feel like you can't miss. I want its big brother the 550 FS in .270 one of these days. And a Safari Magnum in .375 H&H and ...

I bought a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39 back in February. It is a very nice rifle. Well made, accurate & light weight. The single set trigger is quite nice & in contrast to some of the other posts, I don't notice any sharp edges on the magazine. Scope rings are a little expensive & usually have to be ordered. This caliber is also cheap to shoot & handy if you like the AK or SKS rifle.

DSCF0007.JPG

Mine is from 1998 and has a completely different look, finish wise, to the new ones. Mine has and open grain plastic finish stock and flat utility grade blued receive. I just upgraded the FP spring to a heavier one.

Rich

There are two CZ527s in the family. One for me, and the one I bought for my son. Both are the Lux versions in .223

The gun shop I was browsing had both guns in the rack. My son liked one rifle in particular, and I was planning to just buy one. But the gun my son DIDN'T pick had a beautiful stock on it. I made it less than half way home before phoning the shop and having them hold the second rifle.

Both rifles are very good shooters. The set trigger helps a lot. If you do get one of these guns I would recomend glass-bedding the action. Sometimes the factory's bedding jobs need a bit of improvement. While you're at it, check (Czech?) that the barrel is free-floating as well. My rifle needed a light sanding of the barrel channel to loosen up a couple of tight spots.

Regardless of the fact that a little tuning may be required, I highly recommend these guns!

CZ27 owner needs help

the pistol fires fine...but the safety/cocked and locked lever and button are jammed or broken?...where doi I find replacement parts and or a gunsmith down here in sarasota fl to handle this problem? The piece fires fine...32acp...but I would like the safety feature to work properly...why not?

contact

trenchrat@worldnet.att.net

thanks much
dave

I've had my CZ527 in 223rem since April and I really like the rifle. I've attached a pic. Mine was not MOA out of the box but I handload and have since gotten it to group around an inch but i've really just started load development. I have a Leupold 3x9 on it. They are solid, well-made rifles with everything you need and nothing you don't. Pretty wood on mine, to boot.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46684&d=1241832053

Last edited:
Back