Who has re-barreled their Howa 1500?

I had a brake put on mine. The Smithy had to send it out to a guy with a bigger lathe because he couldn't get the barrel off the action....

That would make it a little hard to rebarrel.

I looked and it seems that the action is peened to keep the barrel put.

-tINY

When i went to CST the 1500 was the action to use for our project gun.
The barrels were cut in front of the front receiver ring to 1.00 to release pressure from the barrel being torqued on so much. they came off easy after that.
I have not touched one sence, not because it's a tought thing to do but we don't see that many anymore here.

As long as you have a lathe that will cut metric threads( we do) barrel work is more or less standard.
The toughest part is removing the barrel and with a good barrel vice it comes off.
I don't know if there are short chambered threaded extension cut barrels out there like for the Mauser or Remington 700's but cutting threads for any barrel is standard gunsmith stuff. as long as you have the equipment to do it.

I was wondering the same thing. I have a 1500 in 22-250 that I love...But I don't necessarily love the twist rate. I want to shoot heavier bullets. It has a 1:14. I'd like a 1:10 or 1:9. My bullets of choice would be 55-70 gr. I'd like a 22" barrel, because it makes it easy to maneuver. Any suggestions???

Back