who has experience with brenneke shotshells.

bullfrog99

I'm looking for information on the penitration and "killing power" of brenneke slugs in general. I'm thinking of going with a browning gold fully rifled with a full loading of brenneke golds for grizzly defense, and I want to know if i will get the penitration i want. I'm sure that the brenneke golds will perform only a little better than a standard brenneke, because it only weighs 3/8 of an ounce more, so i'm curious what kind of results you guys have gotten any kind of game. I settled on the golds after figuring out the taylor knockdown value(bullet weight*velocity*diameter /7000) of the load was far higher than my original lever action 45 colt with heavy loads.

45 colt

335 grain .452 dia bullet @ 1600 fps= taylor knockdown of 34.6

brenneke gold

605 grain .729 dia bullet @ 1475 fps= taylor knockdown of

This doesn't take into concideration penitration however, so that is my main concern in this slugs effectiveness. so i need some field reports. thanks in advance.

I haven't shot animals with Brenneke slugs, but I can tell you what happened when I shot a large bail of newspaper with a low velocity 1oz. Brenneke. It was a mistake. I spent the best part of an hour picking shredded newspaper up from 50 yards of the range.

Brenneke claims that their 3" magnum slugs will shoot through an African buffalo end to end. Hmmmmm. That's a lot of bull, I mean buffalo. I do know that rifled slugs have killing power far beyond the paper ballistics.

Capstick wrote of taking a Cape Buffalo with Brennekes, and the slugs ended up inside the opposite ribs. Incapacitation was fast, like that of a 458.

I've taken a number of deer with the Rottweil Brennekes, all had exit wounds, short blood trails, and massive internal injuries.

The Literature speaks frequently about rangers, guides and others who have to deal with grizzlies using pumps guns with Brennekes, either alone or mix loaded w/ 00.

Brenneke slugs

First off I've got no experience with bears, but we use Brenneke Classic slugs exclusively on Ohio whitetails (out to 50 yards) with great sucess . 1 shot kills with exit wounds.These are shots taken broadside at standing deer that usually run no more than 30 yards.With the last buck I found a chunk of lung the size of my fist next to were he lay,after going 10 yards then spinning completely around and collapsing.
Why are you going with a rifled barrel ? is it just to shoot the golds? I've never shot these and not sure what advantage is gained by useing them over a Classic out of a smooth barrel.I would think I'd want my last two rounds to be 00 buck,but I think you are making a wise choice taking the 12 over the 45LC Godspeed on your trip.

the rifled barrel will mainly add a little velocity to the shell, not a practically large ammount but enough for a little more confidence against big things that want to eat me.

I have used the Brenneke classic rounds with a rifle barreled Mossberg. The 100 yard groups were very tight for a shotgun, about 2", and they worked to very good effect on white tail deer. Try them out in your gun to see how they work, you will probably be happy with them.

Back