Who has a DOA USP .45 and how much does it suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Pincus

I have my reasons for asking. ;)

I have a DA/SA full size .45 USP and I like it a lot. I am wondering if anyone has a DAO full size USP and can tell me how horrible it is when you are trying to shoot fast and accurately.

I realize that no sane person would choose to have a gun like this, but maybe some of you have had them imposed on you....

I like cocked and locked on my USP40, so I don't mind the so-so double action pull. I understand HK will retrofit a Match trigger to most of the USPs, which puts it in the league of a nice, tuned SIG DA pull. The newer USPs seem to have better pulls anyway.

DAO - Bleeaacchh!

I haven't shot a DAO USP but seeing as I've used staple guns with smoother trigger pulls than my USP in DA mode (V1), I don't envy you. Perhaps HK put more work into the action of their DAO variant. Mine's new so maybe it will get better.

I once had a Beretta DAO "imposed" upon me. I ranted an raved at first but I soon decided I really liked it. Speed was lost, but my shot placement greatly improved in stressful situations. That is more important to me personaly. I'm no longer in that line of work, but I still carry the DAO nearly every day.

I have worked for years to perfect my "trigger reset" skill with my Glock and I ahve gotten kinda handy with it.. now I may well have to swith over to this atrocity of a firing mode.... Can you say "Short Stroke" ??

The longest trigger pull award has to go to the SIg Pro in DAO. I started pulling mine yesterday and its due to go off at any time.
Really it is loooooong. But I still like the gun. I'll get used to it.

Rob, your prejudice is showing more than your typing skill.

DOA = Dead On Arrival

DAO = Double-Action Only.

Yes, we all tend to ignore such boo-boos, but I assert yours was truly Freudian.

Tell us about your fears that a DAO pistol will result in you arriving at St. ____ Hospital DOA, please?

See, free therapy at TFL! Aren't we great for each other!

In all seriousness, during my revolver at IPSC matches days, I noticed a tendency for wide shots on #1, and uncommonly deadly accuracy for the remaining five shots. #1 was at either 3 or 9 o'clock, can't recall, but could be up to 8 inches off at only 10 yards!

My speed and accuracy left me in the middle of the pack, but then again the matches were my only practice in those ammo-strapped days with little time for dry firing.

Later,
Cheapo

------------------
Let us never forget that the only legitimate source of government power is the citizens. If WE cannot exercise a certain power, we cannot grant it to the state.

[This message has been edited by Cheapo (edited July 22, 1999).]

Continue, Rob...this could be interesting!

Anyway, on your trigger re-set, it's never happened to me. Either I haven't shot enough (unlikely), or my brain's request to feel the click of the trigger resetting has served me well.

You may recall my mentioning of a fat magazine preventing trigger re-set on a pistol I used to own. There was a click as the trigger bar came forward and into what could be called the disconnector cutout on the bottom of the slide, but the bar stopped before it rose high enough to re-engage the sear.

Talk about confusing! Brain says gun should bark!

That was long enough ago that the 10-shot semi-staggered magazine in a compact gun was still a novelty at IPSC matches.

Could this be related to the cheap DAO USP's I saw in SGN? :)

I have thought about this same subject.

Morgan,
That is a retrofit you have to pay for, correct?

I had heard a rumor about free upgrades, but nothing about it since.

If one decides to give up the free-wheelin' life of a self-employed marketing & promotions guru and become a full time LEO at a department that is about to adopt a DAO (DOA?) Full Size USP, one woud "have to" switch over.

------------------
-Essayons

A department is making that switch?

Wow...
Are they sure thats PC?
I am impressed... Your hooking up in a SWEET department! I had totally annoy my shuriff for a good month to get the OK to carry my USP...

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Well, if the screening process they used to pick the gun is half as thorough as the one they used to pick the new hires, I'll be happy to give up my Glock (at least on duty ;)).

I new they were trading in their 92's for HK's, which impressed me (they also have brand new Crown Vics and are building a $6 million + PD set to open next summer.), but I just found out the other day that they are considering the DAO models.... uhg.

I am thinking about having mine changed to DAO so I can start practicing, then I'll switch it back when I get my issue piece in a few months.
And, in all seriousness, I will probably be picking up a Compact to use off-duty.. One weapon system at a time is my preference..

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited July 23, 1999).]

I am thinking of having my USPF converted to SA only, from what I hear the trigger will improve and I have no use for DA, anybody have this done? Thanks all.

I think DAO is what you make it. I would probably switch to DAO exclusively if I had to carry that way on duty, and stop playing with other modes.

Most of the time PDs switched from DA revolvers to DA autos shooting/hit ratios improved. However, just like the revolvers, the trend seems to be to DAO because of some high profile (and expensive) AD/ND shootings and subsequent court cases (even if DA/SA wasn't at fault, it was an issue) ?

------------------
>>>>---->

So, ah, Rob, would you possibly use the CYF method in CQB with a DAO if you only had 1*? Inquiring minds would like to know....

[This message has been edited by bushmaster (edited July 29, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back