Who does slipguns anymore? Colt Cowboy a good base?

Rusty S

Grew up on Keith's Sixguns. Now I want a slipgun with trigger and internal parts removed and hammer altered and lowered for webb of hand to use as kind of a "release trigger.

Also like the looks of a Colt Cowboy availlable locally. Could one of these be used instead of SAA?

Personaly I'd resommend against the Cowboy for a slip gun for two reasons. One they use a cast frame, which will not be as durable. Two they are still priced to high for a gun to be used this way. I'd recommend one of the better copies of the SAA. I don't know of anyone that builds them off hand but if you look over on http://www.gunfighter.com there are several custom builders that advertise there. They also have a discussion forum (e-mail type whatever they are called in computer lingo) where the members could direct you to a 'smith.
I grew up on slip single actions but thought I was probably the only one on this board crazy enough to use one.

PS If you have even minor gunsmithing skills you may want to consider building your own. I have some thoughts and suggestions if you would like feel free to e-mail me. gunscustom@aol.com I wouldn't want to discuss details of building one in an open forum least some lurker decide to try it and loss a kneecap. ;)

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Thank you Gunslinger. Will check out the link and talk to you email. Reason I asked on the Cowboy is I have only two 45's. 4 3/4" SAA Colt circa early 70's and Thompson M1.

BTW, I imagine any slipgun mods could be done to spare parts and the originals retained to return the gun to stock configuration. Still, I'd be hesitant to use my original SAA.

Have always liked the unequivocal message a slipgun sends when leveled: get out of here before my hand gets sweaty, or shoot me dead and I'll still take you with me.

Thanks again.

( For the record, now that I think of it, I spent five years working the reservation where the Ghost Dance originated. And Wyatt Earp worked Tonopah and Goldfield (( which replaced Hawthorne, where I live, as the Esmeralda County Seat )). So maybe the old west isn't so long ago to me. )

[This message has been edited by Rusty S (edited April 08, 2000).]

Hi, Rusty,

I don't have a Cowboy so I am not positive, but I think it uses a transfer bar mechanism, which means that you can't just remove the trigger.

I have used slip guns and (maybe having gotten some age) now consider them about as safe as a spitting rattler.

They are also hard to load, as the hammer has to be held at the right place rather than the trigger simply resting in the half cock notch. While the half cock and safety notches should not be depended on to keep a live round under the hammer, they do provide some protection if the thumb slips while cocking the hammer. A slip gun, of course, has no notches (or doesn't use them) and a sweaty thumb can put a bullet in the wrong place pretty easily. After all, "shooting yourself in the foot" is not just an expression for a plan that backfires.

Just MHO, of course.

Jim

Jim

Thanks for the words of caution, Jim.

Forget who told the story, but decades back the FBI sent down an agent to train some Texas Rangers, and the agent noticed one Ranger with a cocked and unlocked 45 auto stuffed into his waistband, without a holster. He went over and asked the Ranger if that wasn't a bit dangerous. The Ranger's reply was: "...Son, if that damned old thing wasn't dangerous I wouldn't be carrying it."

I agree that slipguns are about as safe as a spittin' rattler. Which ought to tell you and everyone else that anybody carrying one has had some safety circuits deactivated between his ears. I'm comfortable with that.

Hi, Rusty,

Safety aside, something you said on the original posting could use a comment. You don't slip hammer off the web of the hand, as you can't do this without losing grip on the gun (also it hurts like hell). You slip hammer off the side of the thumb, which still allows a pretty good grip.

I would never do it today, but I used to start thumbing at the same time as I started the draw, so the hammer was back and ready to let go when the gun came on target. Did the same with a regular SAA type and also on DA draw with S&W Combat Magnum (later Model 19); the hammer was always coming back while the gun was coming out of the holster and on to the target, so the hammer dropped just as the gun lined up.

Today, I would get run off a range for doing this stuff, and rightly so. Also, again as I get older, I become more devoted to keeping all my bits and pieces intact.

Jim

Back