Who *did* and who *does* issue H&K P7M13?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheapo

Had one of those odd thoughts while driving down the freeway the other day...

Who on this board has *personal* knowledge of specific police agencies/highway patrols/etc. which have issued the H&K P7M13?

I heard many years ago that the Utah Highway Patrol used them, but have heard nothing since.

Which agencies have gone away from the P7M13?

'tanks!

Cheapo

my dept currently issues p7 m-8. i also know of sevral more depts which did issue p7s,most however were the m-8 versions.

New Jersey sp- used to issue m-8,switching to glocks

navahoe nation tribal police m-13 recently switched to glock.

utah highway patrol m-8, m-13-switched to beretta cougar

New Milford CT-issues p7-m-8

Wilmington Ma m-8 in transition process to beretta 96 40

united staes parkmpolice issues m-13 m-8

Licoln Nh prior m-8 user know issuing glocks

West covina Ca p7 m8
Burlignam ca-prior p7 m-8 user switched to usp

several sherifs dept in utah- all switched to glocks or usp

hope this helps

The M8 was/is the skinny 8-shot version with the product improved heat shield above the trigger and a U.S.-style mag release rather than the Euro heel-clip mag release.

The M13 was a mostly double-stack version, 13 shots, with a horribly overpriced magazine which was wonderfully over-engineered. That mag has the longest single-feed top end I've ever seen.

The M13 also had the plastic heat shield and U.S.-style mag release.

I know that the Port of Seattle Police Department issues some version of the squeeze cocker in 9mm. They have for at least ten years. I think it's the 8 round version.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

Port of Seattle PD issues the P7M13 and are very pleased with its performance. I don't think that they have any immediate plans to replace it.

------------------
El Cid '89

I am sure there are many reasons (capacity, caliber, etc)but I'll bet 99% of the reason why departments are dumping the M8 is cost. Back in the early to mid 80's, you could get a p7 for around $600, a Sig 220-226 for about $550 and a Glock (fresh out of the mold) for around $400. And these were civillian prices. Today the price for a P7 is around $950, a new Sig 226 runs about $600 and a Glock runs about $469. The reason for this is that German currency values went out of sight compared to the dollar. You saw the same thing happen with German car prices. At the begining of the 80's a Porsche 944 (around 83') was in the mid 20's in price. By the late 80's the car ran around double that. Add to this the German worker's tendency to be highly overpaid relative to efficiency and you get a whopping price increase. HK decided in the late 80's that they were going to go broke with the "no comprimise" design philsosophy so they just copied what Glock was doing. Out the window went cnc machining the whole pistol from a single forging. All that labor intensive stuff was replaced by a single piece slide and a molded plastic frame. These "advances" are great for lowering costs, but IMHO, have done little to advance the quality of autopistols. To me, there is just no comparison between a Glock/USP and a P7. The P7 represents the end of an era in service autos.HK went nuts trying to manufacture a pistol that was truely safe, fast to use, and indestructable in construction. True, you can get this kind of quality from custom shops (with a fancier finish and $500 to 1000 more in price), but no company will ever again (probably)go for the brass ring the way HK did with the P7.

GHB

P.S. No offense to the USP/Glock. Fine tools, I have a G23 right now that I shoot regularly. I've owned two USPs. Great guns that represent the best of the new philosophy in gun design/construction.

[This message has been edited by Greg Bell (edited November 10, 1999).]

Okay, so a few joints are going away from the M13. Where are the guns going? I only hear about the PSP models showing up for resale...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back