Who Are The World’s Top Shotgun Engravers?

Krieghoff K80

Shotguns engraved by world’s top shotgun engravers are highly coveted and those guns bring a financial premium when they are sold, but the top 5 engraver’s shotguns rarely trade - and are often hard to find. When it comes to ranking the world’s best shotgun engravers, from any objective criteria, the top Krieghoff engraver is G. Stoegner (aka G. Stogner). G. Stoegner, with 7 Krieghoff “Guns of the Year,” far more than any other engraver, has graced their guns, with deep detailed engraving, with little in the way of precious metal ‘frills’ - just pure classic deep engraving.
What makes the G.Stoegner (aka G. Stogner) even more special and rare is that I understand that Stoegner is no longer working due to old age, so the market for G. Stoegner guns has become increasingly more scarce, collectible and more expensive. My understanding is that #2 on the list is Jana Schilling (who is also about to stop or has already stopped working) and then down the line from there, including 3. Goeser, 4. Reich, 4. Nonn (tie), and 5. Creative Arts. These are the ”names” to own.

Who are your favorite Gun Engravers? Please share names and photos?

Cool, I just checked out his work online. He is in Charlottesville which is near me. I would love to check it out in person. Thank you!!

My daughter is in jeweler school in TN right now. She mentioned how she was looking forward to having a session with Jason Marchiafava (www.jfava.com), because his engraving is amazing.

She is correct; it is amazing. His gallery includes shotguns.

I don't know if he is "known" in gun circles, but if I had a bunch of money to throw at engraving a gun, I'd want to talk to him.

thumbnail-11-1.jpg

Fracassi engraved this knife for Fabbri - makers of the best shotguns

Here's another:
Livre_Master-engraver-p150.jpg

The worlds best, they are exactly that.

I enjoy the work of the American classic engravers, Pauline Murrele (SP) is simply awesome, I hope I got her name right.
Pauline was among the last of her breed, a Winchester factory engraver. I for one appreciate the work these folks did on a production basis. I love the engraving on th old guns my M12 only has an engraved trigger guard. Pretty sure the engraving on my Super X -1 1976 Ducks unlimited gun is roll engraving, perhaps with a little touch by Pauline or one of her compatriots at Winchester all those years ago. I love the old Winchester factory engraved shotguns and hope to own more over the years. My Super X and my son were made the same year, it will be his one day.
The guns in this thread, gorgeous works of art that I would be nervous about actually shooting on anything other than a range. I'd drag a factory engraved Winnie in to the woods, but not actually drag it.:)

Those Fracassi animals are great.
Be very selective if you want an engraved portrait of your dog... or yourself.

I am content with the fine "mechanic's" scroll on an entry level Purdey.

Hey

Somebody scratched up your gun! I tend to wonder if good guns are ever engraved to hide damage? Seems rather unlikely, the gun would require refinish prior. Tough to put metal back. I would hope the restoration ends with the refinish.

Except for the bulino style - the depth is measured in microns and you can literally rub it off if not handled properly

Back