Whitworth Rifles

DimitriS

Well I have been thinking about getting a BP rifle and after alot of thought and consideration I decided to get a Whitworth from Euroarms/NavyArms. :)

I was wondering if any of you know anything about this make and how good it will be if I was to use it for hunting lets say ?? :confused:

My dad and my brother want to get BP rifles for deer next fall so I was looking for a good one to get thats classic and is still pretty good. (I dont like the new modern BP rifles one bit :( so if you think these arnt good tell me what rifle that is traditional is better! :D )

Now reading about the real Whitworth accuracy makes me wonder about todays guns sometimes with groupings said to be in "3 to 5 inchs at 500 yards" Thats Sub-MOA!!!! :eek:

Dimitri

Be warned. The Whitworth takes quite a bit of work to get it to shoot right. You're going to find one bullet mould and powder charge combination that works just right for your Whitworth. It is a rifle crank's rifle and a prima donna in the care required to feed it. I'd take the easy route and go with a minie gun.

4V50 Gary,

Whats the fun in taking the easy way ?? :D

Thanks for the warning though and you have been great help so far in my quest for knowlage about black powder arms! :D

I want something unique as my BP rifle. And a Octagonal .451cal designed in 1863 I think is pretty unique :).

Alot of the hunters I know are getting thouse new inlines and I dont know they dont seem like BP rifles to me. Wheres the wood and the pre-1900 design on these new things. :confused:

Dimitri

Go for it then. But do a lot of reading in those forums I recommended. That'll give you an idea of what you're getting into. It's a lot of fun but it takes a lot of time. You might also want to develop a log book to chronicle what you've done so you don't have to go back to reinvent the wheel or worse, retrace your steps. David Minstrell, a member of THR, posted this useful thread. Click on the links.

http://www.n-ssa.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3168&highlight=whitworth and http://www.lrml.org/

4V50 Gary,

Thanks for more links! :D

I am going to get myself a log book of some sort maybe a little pocket notebook :)

As for reading in these forums I have been reading that long thread of posts you made since my last reply they are interesting stories :)

Dimitri

Back