Whitetail stand for some NY Hunting

brownlow

I'm headed up to New York this fall for some whitetail hunting, and I'm trying to do as much research as possible.

When it comes to guns, everyone is motivated by what they have and shoot. But I've got that covered with a .30-06 and a .45 Colt

When it comes to tactics, it depends on location - I've never hunted NY before, and help would be appreciated. I'll be north of Poughkeepsie (I know I butchered that spelling).

When it comes to deer stands, scents, gear, its what people want to sell you.

What is a good deer stand, safe and sturdy, that I can handle?

Also, are there any good sources online for white tail hunting & tips. Most I have found haven't been that meaty past the basics.

Thanks.

WGBV

As far as stand recommendations, you haven't given enough information IMO. Its a very personal decision, and if you'd like some help, you should narrow it down as much as possible. Climber, Lock-on, Ladder, Tripod, you must have some idea of what your personal preferences are. What type of country will you be hunting? Open, thick, hardwoods, bottoms, piney, all make a difference in what could be recommended.
Myself, I prefer a climber which is very sturdy, and quiet. Mine is homemade, welded aluminum, but there are many good ones out there. API is one company which comes to mind. I hunt the swamps and hardwood forests of south central Louisiana. On my hunting lease, I also use a lock-on stand, which I can leave in place, and use a set of quick attaching ladder steps to reach it. When I am not using my stand, others won't be using it either, as I take the steps with me.

Back