White out makes great sites!

o-town

I'd like to thank Cobraman for this little trick. My new FEG that everyones heard so much about has pretty poor sites. They're hard to see. I put whiteout on the sites. Man, what a difference

Used to be everyone who had access to a typewriter had a little bottle of White Out. Painting the sights with it is probably as old as the product itself. Another trick was day glo paint applied with a match. Now nobody smokes.:D The paint will certainly work. Thanks for reminding me how old I am.:)

I heard...

...that if you have a hard time seeing your sights, especially the front sight post on weapons with black sites, like the AK/SKS or the AR, you buy some bright-colored nail polish and paint the front sight post. Neat trick, have yet to try it on my AK though.

I use the hobby type pens from WalMart and other
hobby stores.Most are perfect for making a round
dot...........

Similar trick for those with Dot sights is to knock out the white plastic insert (if your sight has them) and take a Crayola and push the colored wax into the hole and wipe off the excess. Doing this you can get nice contrasting sights no matter where you are shooting. You can even buy a box of over 200 colors for just a few bucks!

Another thing we used to do with White Out was apply it to the stampings. The serial #, logo etc. Then you just wipe off the excess and the lettering would stand out. Cheapo custom work.:)

fishing jig paint works great

The best sight paint is fishing jig paint. It is dourable and WATERPROOF (duh)and comes in all kinds of bright colors. You can find it at any good sporting good store with a fishing department.

White out is crap! Just remember that if you want the colors to be flourescent, you have to put down a white base first.

I painted the front sight on my Ruger .22/45 with a white base covered by bright orange. It really jumps out and is durable. I painted it on with a paper match.

I also filled in the front dot on my Ruger P-95. I hate three-dot sights so it makes it easier to focus on the front sight.

I've been using White Out on the front sight of my Springfield 1911A1 Loaded for over a year. I need the contrast...

The good thing about White Out is that it's bright, but it's only as permanent as you want it to be. You can always remove it, re-apply it, modify it, whatever you want... It sort of dries without ever completely drying; what I mean is, it dries enough to adhere to the sight but always seems to retain a degree of moisture that lets you easily remove it so that you can re-apply a fresh coat at a later date without having to resort to a file or sandpaper.

It's a poor man's way of making a modification to his gun, but it works for me.

Hey Thanks otown! It isnt really my original idea. Geez I cant remember where I learned. The thing I like about White Out is that you can take it off so easily

Have Fun!

Back