White Line Rifles

IHUNT4STUFF

Inactive
I recently purchased an abandoned storage shed in an auction. Inside I found 2 rifles w/ old (1950's) boxes of ammo. One rifle was an 1944 Enfield 303 and the other rifle is a bolt action 30/06 w/ a scope installed (modern). The rifle had an added rubber recoil pad on it. Once I removed the pad there was another pad on the stock w/ this info stamped in the rubber, "White Line" "Trade Mark" "Pachmaur Gun Works" "Los Angeles 15, California U.S.A." The rifle it's self, has a small eagle stamp w/ the # 588 next to it, this is on the left side of the chamber. On the right side of the chamber is the #15 w/ a symbol above it stamped twice (QC Stamp?). The barrel is only 17 1/2" long and is stamped "30/06". Ther are also numerous stamps on the screws of the trigger and (5) shell storage assembly. There maybe more info under the scope mounts, but I have yet to remove them. Is this a mix of 2 guns or an original? And who is/was White Line? Any help would be appericated and I'll post more details, once I get my tools from work, so I can remove the scope and mounts. Thank you

"White line" is Pachmayr's name for that particular pad. The pad is an aftermarket accessory, Pachmayr is the manufacturer and makes a variety of rubber grips and pads. The "Los Angeles 15" would indicate the pad was manufactured before ZIP codes came along in the early '70's. Give us some pics.

[The rifle it's self, has a small eagle stamp w/ the # 588 next to it, this is on the left side of the chamber. On the right side of the chamber is the #15 w/ a symbol above it stamped twice (QC Stamp?). The barrel is only 17 1/2" long and is stamped "30/06". Ther are also numerous stamps on the screws of the trigger and (5) shell storage assembly.]

W/O pics, it sounds like you might have a "sporterized" German Mauser 98, rebarreled to .30-06.
Hopefully, it's not the original 8x57 barrel, shortened with a .30-06 chamber - making it chambered for the 8mm-06 wildcat.

The "shell storage assembly" is the internal magazine & spring with it's external floorplate attached to a one-piece trigger guard/magazine housing, that has a front and rear attachment screws attended by a small lock screw each.
The floorplate should slide off, away from the muzzle, while holding the button in it's rear hole depressed with a bullet nose.

Last edited:
Back