Whinchester 670

Jack45

I'm getting a Winchester 670(.30-06). Apparently it is an economical version of the Winchester Model 70. It uses some type of "push feed" method. Are the parts interchangeable with the M70? If not, where could I find them? What is the capacity? Are there any problems with firing mil surp .30 caliber through it? And where can I find a manual? Hehe... yep, I'm clueless about it alright. All I know is that Winchester is a good manufacturer and the rifle itself is very accurate. Thanks.

It is a very nice rifle, I've had mine a few years now and use it for deer hunting. You may be able to pick up a manual off ebay or gun broker, very rarely they appear on those sites. As far as parts, pretty limited from what I have seen, scope mounts are interchangeable, stocks are not. Midway USA or some smaller online places have replacment parts. As far as ammo I would think you will be okay, I use Winchester Super-X which is relatively inexpensive given the ammo market currently. Keep it oiled/lubed up and some furniture polish on the wood and it will last you a long time. Enjoy your new rifle.

Hello, You have the basic variant of the M70.

Only difference is the blind magazine and the hardwood stock (Birch?).

The new FNH Winchester manufacturer, wont' supply parts for old one due to "liability" issues according to the "licensed land sharks"!

Enjoy it!

mosey-over to: www.WinchesterCollector.org for additional information

These were manufacture in 1967- 1973. Like said hardwood stock ,iron sights,non-hinged floorplate, 22 inch barrel. New in the box 749.00 the rest don't say. These are 2009 prices 4eh edition gun prices

Last edited:
The 670 Whine-chester is the same action as the push-feed Model 70. I call it a Whine-chester because my brother-in-law had one and always whined to me that he wished he'd gotten the Model 70 and asked me to look for a used Mod 70 stock for him at gunshops and shows. Yeah, like he's the only one who wanted one.

It will take the Model 70 barrel, I believe, but it will need to be headspaced. Take-off or pre-threaded barrels don't fit other bolt actions perfectly, so they need to be headspaced by a gunsmith.

Shoot it first, Jack45! I had one for many years and it was a truly great rifle, if a bit plain. I found a cheap synthetic stock, had it bedded and the trigger adjusted. I've had a few good scopes on it but nothing remarkable. After I found a load it liked my sight-in procedure was a lot of fun, especially if someone was watching. I'd staple up a business card @ 100 yds and center one shot in the bottom half of the card. Then I'd case up Old Ugly and go hunting! Groups typically printed from .6-.7" with one @.312, but almost always well under 1" with loads it liked. After several hundred rounds a bit of rifling near the muzzle let go. :( That was five years ago and I'm still looking for a worthy replacement. I'm told the original barrel is a bit stiffer than the standard M70 but I never measured it. To answer your question any barrel that will work on a M70 can be installed on your M670 with professional installation.

It is exactly the same gun as a model 70 of the time that it was produced except that it has a cheaper finish ie hardwood stock instead of a walnut one.

As a rifle they are as good as any model 70 produced at the time.

There is nothing wrong with the push fed action. I think a lot of the hoo ha about controlled feed was a ploy dreamed up to sell rifles.

Back