Whidden Gunworks dies

stagpanther

I'm pretty much a Redding diehard when it comes to my choice for precision dies; but I decided to give Whidden a try since brownells had a set of 6mm BR NORMA dies for sale. 6mm BR and BR Norma are not the same things, so I decided to give these a go. Naturally, when the dies got here they are labeled simply 6mm BR.:rolleyes: However, they are also claimed to be shorter and more adjustable than other conventional dies, so maybe they will still work adequately. They include a nifty shoulder bump guage, though it would have been nice if they had also included a spare decapping pin which is the first thing I always break on a die. If these work out well I intend to have them make me a set of dies for 25 PRC.

In the instructions that came with them they mention their hydraulic dies--that is really intriguing and I wonder if anyone has used them and what they think of them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6860.jpg
    IMG_6860.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 296
Those don't look like hydraulic dies. Iirc hydraulic dies are for case forming and use, as their name implies, water, to form the case. I've not used hydraulic dies, but have used whidden dies and liked them, just not sure they're worth 250 for a two die set. The click adjusting is a neat feature though. They're quality dies

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have a their bushing sizing die for 6.5 prc. Order extra decapping pins or get a universal decapping die. The pin is smaller than rcbs or others. I believe its .042. Broke mine and they weren't available. Very good dies.

Didn't say these were the hydraulic dies, just that they were mentioned in the instructions. I'm the kinda guy that has an espresso maker spray the ceiling of my kitchen with grounds, sorta why I was asking about them.

just not sure they're worth 250 for a two die set. The click adjusting is a neat feature though. They're quality dies
I think you have a point there, they are very well made over-all, but I too think they are a bit over-priced for what you get. The sizing die came wrapped in paper but the threads were slightly galled, and the seating stem does not seem to be a vld type sharp ogive type stem (what else would you be shooting in a 6mm BR?). The instructions don't even mention the necessity of a bushing to be inserted into the sizing die (though I have gobs of them thankfully). The seating die I received does not click between increments. All that said,I was able to accurately size for the 6mm BR Norma.

I have a set of custom Whidden dies. They seem to perform well, based on my measurements. Mine are custom cut to my chamber, so that may taint my review a bit positive. I really like the optional expander, bushing and seating stem sizes. Helps to really fine tune.

I don’t like the aluminum seater body, but it seems to have good results.

I don’t like the smoothness of all the finger tighten nuts.

I don’t like the extra lower lock nut on the expander mandrel. Total pain in the butt.

I don’t like the lock rings that require a proprietary tool, but that gives no advantage.

In the end, if Forster ultra micrometer, Whidden and Redding type S were all cut by the same reamer, and sold at the same price, I’d rather have the Forster.

I do own them all and would not replace them due to perception. They all produce good results.

Then again, I find Hornady dies produce good results albeit less adjustable or customizable, I believe.

Then again, I find Hornady dies produce good results albeit less adjustable or customizable, I believe.
Agree with that--at the time I put together my rifle the hornady 6mm BR dies were all that were available but they are not quite up to the task of making BR norma brass without distorting it somewhat IME.

stagpanther said:
….they are not quite up to the task of making BR norma brass without distorting it somewhat IME.

Might be worth calling Hornady custom or seeing who actually cuts dies meant for the Norma. That reamer is quite popular, so someone must be cutting for that shape. Actually sounds like you figured out that Whidden does.

Might be worth calling Hornady custom or seeing who actually cuts dies meant for the Norma. That reamer is quite popular, so someone must be cutting for that shape. Actually sounds like you figured out that Whidden does.
Whidden's dies appear to allow for the necessary range of shoulder difference between the various flavors of 6mm BR while still getting the neck tension done properly and without causing a distortion elsewhere in the case. I'm not really sure there is a hard-and-fast standard for what 6mm BR actually is--even the history on 6mmBR.com can be a bit confusing to follow. I cross-checked the shoulder bump guage (which fits on caliper micrometers) and verified it does work accurately.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6863.jpg
    IMG_6863.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Back