Which would you pick benelli vs. Remington. Apples vs. Oranges

damo450

Hello all. I am taking a trip down the minimalism road and am down to two shotguns. A benelli super Vinci and a remington 870 express. The 870 is a very old model in absolute pristine condition. I'm a hunter first and foremost and do recreational trap and what not a few times per year. If you all had to pick one. Which would it be and why. I am a rifleman for the most part I have gone through and slew of shotguns of all brands, actions, etc. etc. and really feel no difference in any of them. I do like the safety in front of the trigger guard on the Vinci. Now the 870 matches the little youth 870 I got for my son for this upcoming turkey season. But I will certainly start him shooting regularly with a gas auto gun. He's only 6. I have time for that. So let me have it. Thanks all

I do like the safety in front of the trigger guard on the Vinci.

Me too-but boy is this gun ugly (yeah, I know, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", yadda, yadda, yadda, but the Vinci makes my eyes positively water :eek:). I've had very good luck with the less radical-looking Benelli Super Black Eagle II (I hear there's a III version out now; don't know how it's different). This has been a gun that keeps on ticking no matter how foul the fowl weather and conditions are.

I am not a fan of the Vinci. I have an emotional attachment to my 870 as it was my first shotgun.

IF I was in your shoes and only wanted one shotgun, I would either get a Benelli M2 or a SBE3. I probably have too many shotguns (if that is possible) but most of them sit in the rack because they are not worth selling or because they fill some special role. But the M2 and SBE can fill them all.

Not being a fan of inertia actions, of the two listed i would pick the 870. If it were me I would sell both and get a Remington 11-87 or a V3. There are a ton of other gas autoloaders that also get good reviews.

Pick the one that fits

A shotgun that fits you the best, will be the best gun for you. Of course junk guns excepted, but neither gun mentioned here is junk.

The X's on the score card can make the ugliest gun the belle of the ball.

Back