Which Winchester 1886 part is the "firearm"

Which component of a Winchester 1886 is designated by the ATF as the "firearm" and would need to be shipped through an FFL?
Hopefully I posted this on the correct forum, if not please move it to the correct one.

Attachments

• IMG_9154.GIF
    IMG_9154.GIF
    47.5 KB · Views: 38
Funny, we just had this conversation the other day. The serialized part is the controlled part, the "firearm" if you will. On the newer 1886 rifles (Browning, Miroku, various Italian manufacturers), the serial number is on the receiver itself. But on original 1886s, the serial number is on the lower tang! If you look on eBay, you will see a few lower tangs being sold as parts.:eek:

Scorch is right, but the legal firearm is the frame, and after the Gun Control Act of 1968 the frame was required to be serialized, but in cases like the old 1886, the tang was stamped. That doesn't make the tang (trigger bar) the legal firearm. It just means the law didn't exist when that gun was made.

There is a certain type of person who will letter the tang serial number and then scrounge parts to assemble a rifle in the original configuration.

I think if it is a antique(pre-1898) it doesn,t matter if it has a serial number or not for federal law. most 1886,s were made before 1898. eastbank.

I think if it is a antique(pre-1898) it doesn,t matter if it has a serial number or not for federal law. most 1886,s were made before 1898. eastbank.

Close, but not quite. The Gun Control Act, which required serial numbers, passed in 1968. Firearms made before then are not required to have serial numbers. Pre-68 it was common for inexpensive guns to have none.

Thanks for the replies folks. I did know that it was whichever part that has the serial number stamped on it(i couldn't remember the proper term "serialized").

Close, but not quite. The Gun Control Act, which required serial numbers, passed in 1968. Firearms made before then are not required to have serial numbers. Pre-68 it was common for inexpensive guns to have none.

I think eastbank was just saying that if the gun is pre-1898, then there is no requirement for an FFL transfer on any part or complete gun at all.

most 1886,s were made before 1898. eastbank.
Winchester made about 159,000 1886s, of which 103,000 were made before 1898. If you have the documentation of when it was manufactured, shipped, etc (usually in the form of a factory letter), some FFLs may transfer it without paperwork, but other FFL holders play it safe and whip a 4473 on you and make you go through the paperwork and NICS check.

Were you asking concerning an original, or a Miroku 86?
The law applies differently depending on which.
Denis

Back