Which way to go on this rifle.

armednfree

Give me your thoughts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4FqdguyNnk

watch

Check the receiver threads for concentricity and receiver shoulders for squareness. Then rebarrel.

I'm working on my savage 22-250 at this moment, what a coincidence.;) Watching your video, first thing that strikes me is your how long your throat probably is--which leads me to ask what your twist is, which I kinda suspect is a fast one to optimize heavy, longer bullets. My savage is 1:12, so I don't venture much past 55 gr with it. Looks like a Boyd's featherweight thumbhole stock--I like Boyd's stocks but find they generally take significant work to truly eliminate stress points and get a nice solid bed with the receiver.

Last edited:
First go to Bugholes and order a barrel blank, the one linked would probably finish 27". The barrel I picked would match your factory contour and you wouldn't need to modify the stock to make it work.Then I'd send it off to Longrifles Inc and let Chad Dixon and crew work their magic on it. 6mm or 6.5 Creedmoor would be decided by which barrel I could get my hands on faster.

However, you would probably be money ahead to sell your rifle and buy a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6mm or 6.5 Creedmoor.

Easy. Blueprint the action. Put a Lilja on it. And forget about shot dispersion and all the scrubbing to get it clean.

First off is 760 is a dirty powder especially in cases shaped like the 22-250, never seen a 22-250 that wouldn't group good with H380, it is thee 22-250 powder.
Second, yes that throat is to far forward if you were still wanting a 22-250 I would say send the gun to Greg Tannel at Gre-tan and have him set the barrel back and look the gun over, lap the lugs, re-crown it, something might not be quite right.
As far as a new barrel I'm not a fan of artillery pieces, the Shilen #5 contour finished at 26" is a great long range but manageable weight barrel. Midway shows a #5 contour 28"in stock, you have it sent to your gunsmith just in time to meet the gun.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1554126424
I have 6x47 remington that Douglas put together for me in record time a few years ago from a walmart 700 remington 223. The gun groups as good as any high end barrel I've ever had at 2/3 the price and 1/10 the headache normally involved with having a action re-barreled. https://www.douglasbarrels.net/shop
Considering barrel life because you seem to like to send lots of bullets downrange like I do you might go with a cartridge that burns a little less powder than the Creedmoors, 6mm br or the new 6mm arc barrel would last a long time and if your making adjustments on a target scope for yardage you'll never notice the slightly lower velocities. You'll notice the difference in recoil and barrel life however.

First off is 760 is a dirty powder especially in cases shaped like the 22-250
That's funny! I load 760 in my 22-250, and it shoots about 1/4"-5/16" for as long as I want it to.

However, you would probably be money ahead to sell your rifle and buy a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6mm or 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'd have sold it and cut my loses years ago instead of throwing good money after bad. There are several good options now for factory rifles that will do what you want to do out of the box. But some guys just like to tinker.

best guess is the throat is shot out. You could spring for a new barrel, or take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber reamed and pushed forward. Personally I would just go for a new barrel.

Back